My Rock Garden (PICS)

WPalm033(Chicago Z6)August 9, 2004

My Windmill Palm

Some yuccas around drainage valley

Agave and elijah blue grass

Musa Basjoo

Yucca, Small Sabal Palm and even smaller optunia cactus.

Cactus and red banana

Hope to get more pics soon!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
omniphasic(9 Ca)

What a neat Rock Garden!I especially like the addition of succulent plants.I would bring your Euphorbia specimens indoors during your cold winters-Place them near a bright window.

Bookmark   August 11, 2004 at 12:10AM
sagebrushred(zone 5)

I love the palms, bannana and musa basjoo. Do these really overwinter for you in Chicago? I love the tropical look of these plants but figured they'd never survive my climate. I'll definitly be doing some research on these plants. I'd love to incorporate these into and area that I will be redoing in a year or two.

Bookmark   August 12, 2004 at 5:29PM
WPalm033(Chicago Z6)

Everything you see there unfortunately was planted within this year. The palm was planted on March 3rd, and experienced some snow (You can see those pics in the Palms & Cyads forum) and a low temp of 19F without a scratch (and it was just planted, so it was used to being in room temp) 5 months later it is doing just fine! The bananas were planted in June, and I havnt had a chance to overwinter them yet (well duh) But I'm sure they will do fine with some mulch, and also if they were here from the start they would be much larger then these newly planted ones. Give em' a try!

Bookmark   August 13, 2004 at 3:04AM
HENRYSLAWEK(5A5B)

Beautiful garden but....are you really planing to leave those plants for the winter? If so, I don't think you will see them again, hmmmmm.....

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 4:04PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I thought I was in zone denial. LOL!!! I bring my tropicals in the house. I want to see them next summer.

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 1:05AM
WPalm033(Chicago Z6)

Yea actually the Windmill Palm is hardy to around -10F and the bananas somewhere in that area too, along with some muclching, leaves, snow cover and xmas lights for coldest nights everything will be fine.

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 9:11PM
marquest(z5 PA)

But last winter we hit -20. What will you do if we get the same winter this year?

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 3:13AM
WPalm033(Chicago Z6)

We actually hit -10F, no you didnt hit -20 in PA unless you are really north and high up or something. The winters before that here were -3.1F -3.3F and 5F nd -4.0F Plus were expected to have an El Nino year which will bring much warmer temps. I'm not worried at all.

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 6:55PM
leiahi

Nice,supernice

Bookmark   October 27, 2004 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Is this soil mix good for rock garden, and these plants???
This Wednesday a truck full of 25-to-30 200lbs moss...
rinomanfroni
Hens and Chickens help
I have had these under this step for over 15 years....
nauset
Lewisia cotyledon
I have Lewisia cotyledon Elise since two years: I already...
yroux
using a cold frame
Hi,just getting into alpines,not bothered about a greenhouse...
mambrino
Where do you all get your rocks?
I am rock crazy. Just ask my husband. On a recent trip...
Karen in 4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™