What happened

jzaleski(6)August 22, 2013

My garlic wont head up, I planted it in the spring, is this the normal, or did I do something wrong. I thought I'd have garlic by now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Garlic really shouldn't be planted in the spring as it results in smaller bulbs. For the biggest bulbs it should be planted in the fall and left to overwinter. However, even by planting in spring you should have gotten garlic by now.

What month did you plant? How deep did you plant? How far apart did you plant? Did you plant individual cloves or did you plant the whole, unseparated bulb? And is your garlic leaves still green or have they browned? It's a lot of questions but more info is needed to find the cause of your problem.

Rodney

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 5:38AM
jzaleski(6)

I had a problem and could not plant in the fall, I planted them about ten inches apart and about four inches deep. The leaves are still green and starting to brown on the edges, I dug around one plant, there's not much of a head.I planted them very early same time i planted my onions, my onions were very nice, I have them drying. I was just wondering how long I should leave the garlic in.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:28AM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Four inches is too deep, in my opinion. I only plant mine about two inches deep. That coupled with the Spring planting might be the cause of your problems.

As for when to harvest, I wait until about half of the leaves are brown which happens in July for me. If you wanted to you could pull one up now and use it as fresh garlic. You don't have to wait for garlic to be fully mature, it's fine to use anytime. However, if you plan on storing it then it does need to be fully mature.

Rodney

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 9:26PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

Unless your soil is like cement, 4" should not be too deep. 10" otoh, is farther apart than I have found necessary. I plant in raised beds, about 6" deep and 4" apart and get a majority of large to huge heads that way.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:38AM
jzaleski(6)

I just checked my garlic and a few of them are getting scapes, so maybe I have to wait a little longer, I wonder if I should water them. thanks for the replies.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:21PM
jzaleski(6)

I think you were right about to deep, the scapes did not come on until I moved the soil around. Well we live and learn and when we think we know it all we're out of here.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:19AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Onions and garlic do not need to be planted too deep.
I used to plant my garlic such that the tip of the clove was covered an inch . With the onion set, the tips slightly covered.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 4:54AM
More Discussions
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™