My garlic: Is it nearing harvest?

jenn(SoCal 9/19)August 30, 2011

I planted this garlic early this year. This is my first time growing garlic and I'm having trouble finding any photos or descriptions that look like mine. Does this look like it's about ready for harvest? If not, then what are the signs it's ready?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wolverine1012

That sure looks like garlic chives whose leaves can be harvested anytime, but you don't uproot the entire plant like you would a garlic bulb. There is a small bulb on the bottom, but typically you only harvest the leaves.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 11:12AM
rhubarb_stalker(Z5b Western MA)

If I were you, I'd cut off the flowers before the seeds start dropping. You'd be surprised at how prolific one garlic chive plant can be.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 4:55PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you! I found part of the plant tag which broke, and the piece I found says "Garlic"; guess the part that says "Chives" is still in the ground, LOL. So, it's a perennial herb like regular chives! I'll cut the flowers soon before the go to seed... I'll give the bees a chance to feast on them first.

Thank you again!

Jen

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 10:45PM
wolverine1012

It's a perennial herb but more like mint. Unless you keep it controlled it will take over your herb garden. Be sure to keep those flowers trimmed before they seed.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 7:40PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

wolverine: As long as I don't let it go to seed, it doesn't otherwise spread in the same way mint does, does it?

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 7:34PM
wolverine1012

Mint spreads by root; garlic chives by seed. We have both regular chives and garlic chives. Both have been allowed to seed, but only the garlic chives seem to be so prolific. Once the seeds scatter and they sprout, the plants are almost impossible to kill.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™