More alpines...

abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)August 1, 2005

...in their native habitats...

Peter Loughheed Prov. Park, Alta. - a few days early for peak bloom up at the tarns.

Path to the rockslide:

Potentilla gracilis (I think):

Anemone parviflora, Alpine anemone:

Erigeron pallens, Alpine Fleabane:

Hedysarum sulphurascens, Yellow Hedysarum:

Dryas octopetala:

Leptarrhena pyrolifolia, Leather-leaved saxifrage:

Lychnis apetala, alpine campion:

Salix reticulata:

Saussurea nuda, Dwarf Sawwort:

Silene acaulis, Moss Campion:

Smelowskia calycina, Silver Rock Cress:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

Beautiful shots, breathtaking views. Thanks for posting these, Lori.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 12:14AM
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

My pleasure, Pudge! What a magical place - upon coming out of the forest, there's a huge rockslide (inhabited by pikas) that marks the beginning of the more alpine-ish plants. Then, continuing up, you cross various limestone boulder fields and ridges to eventually reach a series of meltwater tarns - with fascinating geometric edges and angles due to the dip of the strata! The area is drained by an incredibly beautiful stream (pictured), the banks of which are carpeted in spotted saxifrage, vine-leaved coltsfoot and senecio. (There's one point where a feeder to the stream emerges from the rocky slope, runs about 3m above ground, then disappears into a crevice again - the world's shortest stream!) A fascinating variety of plants (though, as I said, the bloom seems a bit later than last year, when we were up there on Aug. 3rd).... the alpine campion is pretty nifty! The whole plant is probably about 5 cm max, and the flowers (I thought these were seedheads but have since found out they're actually flowers) are about 1 cm. The willow that's pictured is also no more than about 5cm tall. It was a great hike - the kind of place you wish you could show to everyone you know! But I guess photos are the next best thing... (Believe it or not, I actually took 112 photos! Whew - you're lucky I'm not posting 'em all, LOL!)

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 1:07AM
Pudge 2b

Well I think we'd probably love to see them all!

So if we camp at Kananaskis next summer you'll tell me exactly which trail this is, right? I spent 8 years in Calgary, and unfortunately was not much of a gardener then except for some balcony plants. We did do a bit of hiking and a lot of skiing but I did not pay attention, nor had much interest back then (the great outdoors were the trees in Chinook Centre, LOL). Funny how things change.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 12:07PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

I'm still envious. Even more so now!

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 2:51PM
rue_anemone(1)

Sigh! I wish you would show more.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Xeric gardening 101 help - Agave
Dear Friends, If I have posted on a wrong forum please...
mountaingrown
Can you grow Sempervivum from seed?
I am in the process of starting a rock garden around...
kim31kim
When Do Hens & Chicks Bloom?
The little plant stake/description that came with my...
bmurphyfl
winter edelweiss help...
Last spring I bought four edelweiss plants and they...
AnnaLeah
about flower
want to know all about it..anybody can help
hmerrillb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™