alpine strawberries

Tris(z3/4 MN)August 12, 2001

I bought a hanging basket of alpine strawberries and thought I read somewhere that they did not give off many runners. Is this true? The one I have is throwing off runners like crazy. Anyone have any advice about this ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dupperdog(4b WI)

They don't throw off runners. Maybe the plant was mislabeled. Generally what they sell in hanging baskets will not be alpines because of the fact that alpines do not have runners and are of less interest in a hanging basket than a regular strawberry with all the runners hanging down.

Bookmark   August 17, 2001 at 2:02PM
cintipam_cinci_rr_com

Hi Tris

I had also read alpine strawberries didn't have runners, but those I grew from seed have been running like crazy1 Grew both Ruegen and Yellow Wonder this year (from Pinetree Garden seeds, usually reliable source). Both produced the expected small berries, but flavor not as intense as I expected, plus had LOTS of runners. Remember to cold treat seeds, and don't use Insect soap on the plants (I killed my first batch).

Grew Peruvian Marine Heliotrope from PTG last year too, for the fragrance. Had no scent at all, although an attractive plant. Go figure!

Pam

Bookmark   November 25, 2001 at 9:01PM
nativeplant

Native alpine strawberry plants have prolific runners. When you say 'alpine', if you mean the native alpine, Fragaria norsca then they are the most prolific spreading plant in my garden. I don't know about varieties or cultivars of Fragaria virginia which is not found in alpine areas.

Bookmark   November 27, 2001 at 2:16PM
penny_md6

Pam,
I was just cruisin the pages of Pinetree Seeds for alpine strawberries and had decided on Ruegen, because they sound delicious. I too like Pinetree> BUMMER!
Back to square one.

Bookmark   November 27, 2001 at 7:50PM
sjsarsfield_yahoo_com

I ordered some Mignonette alpine strawberry seeds from Park seeds. How many weeks before my last frost can I start them?

Thanks,

Sandy Sarsfield

Bookmark   January 19, 2002 at 3:50PM
apcohrs(z5 IL)

It should say on the packet. But since they are perennials, rather than annuals, start them soon.

Bookmark   January 21, 2002 at 1:06PM
jkirk3279(Z5 SW MI)

I am interested in finding seeds for Yellow Wonder AKA Pineapple Crush Alpine Strawberries. I did a google search and see some hope of finding them overseas. I can't afford to buy plants.

Has anyone found a good source for the yellow Alpine varieties?

Bookmark   January 19, 2003 at 11:53PM
BrownFarmNo(z3-4)

I'm a little late with this but I found my Yellow Wonder seeds at www.gardennursery.com (Nichols Garden).

Bookmark   March 30, 2003 at 6:25PM
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

From what I can tell, what's sold as "alpine strawberries" are various species of native strawberries (Fragaria virginiana, fresca, etc.) and, yes, they do have runners. I have no idea where the "alpine" part comes from, as these are not strictly alpine plants by any means.

Bookmark   April 3, 2003 at 10:59PM
ronbruce(Z5/6)

My alpine strawberries (labelled as species vesca) never seem to produce runners and I've had them for 6 years. They certainly reseed a lot though if I don't get all the fruit picked.

Bookmark   April 28, 2003 at 9:27AM
yellow_bear_1(z4 (5) SD)

We have a pot of strawberries given us and labeled as being from the French Alps. In the gallon pot they are running and we're nervous about where to plant it. The berries produced already in the pot last year were intensely flavored and delicious.

Bookmark   May 8, 2003 at 8:10AM
adrianag(AL z7)

Can somebody refresh me on the cold treatment recommended for germinating Alpines?

Bookmark   June 6, 2003 at 7:41PM
rachita(z4 mi)

I live in Canton, MI and would be greatful to anyone who could share (I will pay) alpine strawberry plants (red, white, yellow) with me. I tried ordering them online but have not had nuch luck.

Bookmark   April 5, 2004 at 12:42AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

I have extra Ruegen Alpine strawberry plants(F. alpina) grown from seed last year. I started them late but still had some fruit in late summer. No evidence of runners. You'd think the fruiting plants would have at least thrown out one runner if it was going to. I got the seed from Pine Tree Gardens too. But in 2003. A new batch of seed so maybe they are not the same. I'll know this year for sure.

Bookmark   April 8, 2004 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Growing Moss?
I have recently bought a house with a moss-rock fireplace...
LSNock - CO
Hens and Chickens help
I have had these under this step for over 15 years....
nauset
about flower
want to know all about it..anybody can help
hmerrillb
using a cold frame
Hi,just getting into alpines,not bothered about a greenhouse...
mambrino
When Do Hens & Chicks Bloom?
The little plant stake/description that came with my...
bmurphyfl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™