azorella trifurcata yellowing

srwillms(z6 CO)September 3, 2004

I've recently planted azorella trifucata (bolax glebaria)in an area with high drainage, shade most of the day with a few hours of intense sun, pea gravel around the crown and under the foliage. It's turning yellow. Any ideas? Do I need more sunlight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

I am growing A. trifurcata for the first time, and in a trough. It also protested wildly when I planted it. I was wondering if I was going to lose it. But it is absolutely thriving now. Maybe it is just the nature of the beast. I did nothing different to try to save it. Hope someone with real experience will answer.

Rick

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 2:54PM
srwillms(z6 CO)

Was yours yellow? Should I move it to a trough?

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 5:52PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Silly that I didn't say that in my first post. Yes, I'd say about 3/4 of it turned yellow. Strange now that I think of it, all or most of the yellow ones turned back to green (later). There were hardly any browning as a result. That's pretty unusual for stressed out yellow leaves of any species to turn back to green. Usually they die and new ones grow.

Of course yellowing would not be an indication of lack of light. The plant would get leggy (and whimpy). My trough gets about a half day of sun. If you do have excellently draining soil, which is best for alpines, my guess is that it hasn't established yet and it needs more water. But only you can tell if it needs more or less water. But no fertilizing!

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Source for plants in RI/CT/MA?
I'm wondering if anyone knows of some sources for alpine,...
bill_ri_z6b
Lewisia cotyledon
I have Lewisia cotyledon Elise since two years: I already...
yroux
rocks without dirt?
Hello. I don't exactly have a rock garden but I need...
adidas
corner curb rock garden; need help
I live on a corner lot in NE Nebraska. The corner itself...
mlubb
Why is this happening
I have a Fraser Fir tree in very rich black soil (lot...
crazyraisin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™