Rock Garden or plants?

jencoxSeptember 30, 2011

I have a 3 tiered flower box on the back of my house. It's the west side down our walk out basement. It's under the deck from up above so it doesn't get a whole lot of sun. Each section is 15 foot long and 3 1/2 foot wide. I can post a picture if someone tells me how...I'm new to this... I've never done a rock garden...would love to see pictures if you suggest this?

Thanks

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

True rock gardens are alpine in nature, and tend to be full sun.

Your situation sounds like a perfect place for a woodland garden, with plants that like the shade. There is nothing wrong with incorporating rocks in a woodland garden. :)

Rick

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 11:01PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

The natural rock gardens would, most likely be alpine, or like the burren, in Eire, but no rules need hold you back. Mine gets half sun and half shade and has plants that stay below one foot in height, as a rule.
But it is advantageous to use the largest rocks you can manage. Of different sizes and in natural looking strata. Mixed,or water rounded rocks look strange. Similar sorts in strata or layers seem natural. Tilt them back, very slightly, so rain runs into the garden, and not out.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 10:29PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Good advice bogturtle.
Shade plants tend to cover the rocks more than small sun liking plants. However, I have seen sedums growing in moss on the north side of cliffs in the Olympic Mountains here in Washington State. Moss and sedums grow quite well together here.
As bogturtle says, "It's advantageous to use the largest rocks you can manage", especially in the shade. In your case I'd go heavy on the rocks and good rock placement and use moss and sedums. Without the rocks I'd just go for a shade garden.
Mike

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 7:52AM
mosswitch

I have a woodland rock garden, reminiscent of a naturally occuring rock outcrop that you might find in a forest. The rocks are liberally coated with moss, small creeping sedums in the crevices, ferns and violets tucked in voids and in the spring there are small bulbs and wildflowers; snowdrops, anemones, early crocus, species daffodils, etc. All this in an area about 15' across. I have also incorporated a mossy, weathered log and a dwarf Japanese maple grows behind it.

All rock gardens don't have to be sunny to succeed.

Sandy

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Too many rocks!
I've got way too many rocks in my front and backyard....
Shimmy23
Does Cactus Soil Work Well With Alpines?
I have a bag of cactus soil and I wanted to use it...
botolph
where to buy this dianthus
Hello! I lost all of these mini dianthus plants over...
dahlia6
Fairy, gnome miniature gardens
Is anyone using alpines in miniature container gardens?...
Fleur
Can you grow Sempervivum from seed?
I am in the process of starting a rock garden around...
kim31kim
Sponsored Products
WallsNeedLove Grey Goose Feathers Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP4-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
The House Gardener Hardcover
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Sea Stuck Bloem 18'' Modica Rail Planter
$14.99 | zulily
Fall Pumpkin and Berry Table Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Four Savannah Gardens Placemats
$73.90 | Horchow