Wrong Garlic Variety?

MaPooh(7b/8a)September 8, 2012

I ordered my garlic seed for this falls planting. I intended to buy Early Italian Purple (softneck) but I was up late and accidentally purchased Italian Purple (hardneck). I am in SE North Carolina and everything I am reading says that this variety will not do well here. The farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold winter this year and I was thinking of trying it anyway. (Yes, I follow the Almanac - My Mom swore by it) I have considered refrigerating the seed before planting, but I am just not sure if that will help for fall planting. If I do it, I was thinking 6 weeks of refrigeration and then planting on Nov. 3-4 in my raised garden bed. (Almanac again). Any advice? Am I wasting precious garden space even trying?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

My garden seems in between the north and south - and I try whatever I think we will eat.

Which means that I will try anything that's easy to peel - cuz we love garlic - we'll eat anything!

I don't love the tiny cloves, so I won't replant if I feel like I grew it correctly and the cloves were small.

But, if I failed to grow correctly, then I give the variety another chance to get larger.

Anyway, I have read that garlic will adapt to your growing conditions.

Perhaps planting a variety that hates the heat/cold will just take more years to adapt to your heat/cold.

I chill in the fridge for 2 weeks. But I think the grocery stores chill longer; as they stock the shelves as needed. The cloves that I chill, and then don't plant so they end up on the counter, seem to sprout in a few weeks.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaPooh(7b/8a)

Thanks, I think I will try chilling the hardneck Italian garlic seed. I planted the Softneck Early Italian three yrs ago and they did great. Two years ago I planted Elephant garlic which did great but I didn't like their flavor as much; not a true garlic and not enough flavor for us. I planted polish white last year and they were tiny but tasty. We had a very mild winter and I don't think that helped them. This year is predicted to be much colder. I still have some heads left of the Polish, maybe I should replant some to see if they "adapt". Thanks for the response.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Newbie to garlic growing
I would like to try a variety of bulbs this fall. Anyone...
Sunnygran55
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Garlic Sprouting!
Which would be ideal....the only problem is I live...
landscraper82
Sponsored Products
Char-Broil Patio Bistro Electric Grill - Graphite - 12601559
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Chocolate Brown
$489.00 | LexMod
Flatweave Ledbury Diamond Lattice Cotton Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Twisted Mesh Metal Table
| Dot & Bo
Char-Broil Patio Bistro Electric Grill - Chocolate Graphite - 12601664
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Grand Chateau Champagne Flutes Set Of 4
Classic Hostess
Taupe Down Alternative Blanket
$29.99 | zulily
Florence Style Loft Wool Loveseat in Chocolate Brown
$699.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for: