Huge Garlic Festival in NY Sept 26-27

wcthomasSeptember 13, 2009

The 21st annual Hudson Valley Garlic Festival will be held in Saugerties, NY on September 26th and 27th.

http://hvgf.org

This is a huge festival, largest in the East, with live music, food stands (garlic ice cream anyone?), educational lectures & demonstrations, garlic related arts & crafts, and lots of seed garlic for sale from local farmers. It gets crowded - 25,000 people per day last year - but is really fun.

TomNJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57(M-H Valley NY-5)

We go every year. Trying the garlic ice cream is obligatory ONCE. Decide for yourself if you like it enough to repeat the experience.

The festival is my favorite source of different varieties of garlic for my garden and local honey.

This year we're taking the grandchildren. I'm sure we'll be visiting different booths than in the past--like the one with face painting and balloon animals.

Even though it does attract so many visitors, I've never felt crowded as it's spread out on so much land.

I heartily recommend the festival as a fun day, usually on a beautiful fall afternoon.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 7:18AM
TJG911(z5b CT)

did anyone go? reports?

tom

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 9:32PM
wcthomas

Yes I was there on Saturday. It was it's usual festive affair with hundreds of booths selling handicrafts, specialty foods, live music, and of course garlic. Bought my annual garlic tee shirt for working in my garden, and a supply of nice large German White, German Red, and Spanish Roja. Brought along some visiting relative from Ireland and we all had a great time.

Reports from the local farmers is that crop yields were smaller this year with losses during curing, so many are nearly sold out.

TomNJ

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™