Onion mulching?

calm1(6)September 19, 2010

I've been told not to mulch onions. We mulch the rest of the garden very heavy. Problem is our onions always get over run with grass & weeds. What about using this 1" thick cardboard that I have & drill 4" holes thru it with a hole saw, then plant in the holes?

Thanks

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy41_1

you shouldn't mulch onions as you would garlic since onions will have a hard time emerging through the mulch. however after the onions emerge there should be no problem with mulching them. i never have used cardboard so i don't know about that. i use straw. i guess if you use cardboard as one would use plastic mulch then there is nothing blocking the emergence of the plant.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 6:47AM
promethean_spark

I always mulch mine after transplant. Mulch is more about moisture retention than weed prevention for me though.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 3:08PM
Benniebuuri_yahoo_com

Can l use sowdust

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 1:11PM
alphonse(6)

I always mulch onions after the leaves get maybe three inches long since weeding is a PITA, using whatever mulch can be turned in later. Grass clippings,shredded leaves, straw shorts,etc. Suppose sawdust could be used, but I never want that much carbon in the soil.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 5:18AM
yopper(3-4)

Nanyuki I would not mulch with new sawdust as it will take nitrogen from the soil that your onions need.Old rotten saw dust would be O K. Good gardening to ya YOPPER

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™