Growing Garlic--Please help

kr222(6b)September 17, 2008

I bought garlic bulbs to plant this fall. The biggest question I have about growing garlic is how do you dry them properly? Plus, I keep reading that you should save the largest bulb to plant in the fall. Would I dry this bulb and store it just like the ones I will use to cook, or does it need special care?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bloosquall(Wa 6)

If you baught these bulbs they should already be cured. Place that one that you're going to plant in a cool place of the house out of the sun..heck that's what you should do with all the garlic you have, you only have a few more weeks before planting time anyway. your garlic should be good if you keep it out of the heat.

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 12:20AM
rxkeith(z5 MI)

when you dig your in the summer to dry, knock off the dirt, and put them in a dry place with some air circulation. i tie mine in bundles of about 10 on each end of some twine and put them over rafters in the barn. a garage, shed, or any place else thats dry will work. you can also lay them on screens. do not dry them in the sun. hard neck garlic takes at least 2 weeks to dry depending on conditions. artichoke garlic, or other varieties that have numerous cloves may take longer to dry. once they are dry, cut the stems back to about an inch from the bulb, trim the roots, and clean them up a bit. look at each bulb for any visible signs of injury, disease or split bulb wrappers. separate those bulbs out and use them first. they won't keep as long. use your biggest bulbs or cloves for replanting in the fall. they don't require any other special treatment. you want to plant healthy looking cloves from healthy bulbs.

the bulbs you plan on eating, you can keep just about anywhere thats dry, and not too hot or too cold. nothing fancy required.

keith

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:54PM
garlicman2

Get the book,'Growing Great Garlic',by Ron Engeland.Read it cover to cover more than once;infact, read it three times a year,before planting,when the sprouts show,and before harvest in July.This will help make you an expert or close to it.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 9:47AM
kr222(6b)

Garlicman2,
I just ordered my copy!
Kim

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™