new to alliums....have questions

ferncreek(z6b / 7a PA)September 5, 2005

I planted my first alliums last fall -- A. bulgaricum, A. caeruleum, & an unknown not-so-huge purple. The caeruleum (azure allium) were not as blue as expected -- what blue flower is?? -- but they did a bizarre thing that I can't find in any photos -- most of them got a "2nd story" -- out of the flower another little bit of stem came up & a smaller flower was atop that. Now in Sept., these alliums are coming up again, when the other 2 kinds aren't. Is this normal?? Also, I need to move them -- can I do it now, or should I wait until they first appear in spring? (This is mostly for the other 2 kinds that aren't coming back up, since I won't know exactly where they are....

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ferncreek(z6b / 7a PA)

OK, I've been doing my homework!
As to:
most of them got a "2nd story" -- out of the flower another little bit of stem came up & a smaller flower was atop that

I found:
"This species always has a few small bulbils nestled at the center of the flower head." ~ I'm assuming that's what I described above -- funny how that's never in the catalog photos....

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 4:12PM
SMcKinney(Z5a)

Sounds like egyptian onion or walking onion this is not unusual for some onions. can you send a photo? steve53115@lycos.com

Bookmark   October 15, 2005 at 11:17PM
zinniafan

I too will be new to alliums so what color were they if they weren't true blue? I am thinking of placing an order through Brecks for the same Azure Allium and am hoping that if it's not blue it's purple-ish blue.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™