A few questions from a relative newcomer

agardenstateof_mindSeptember 7, 2007

Since it will soon be time to plant my third crop of garlic, I thought it best to pose my questions now:

1. Despite my best efforts, the garlic bulbs I've grown are smaller than the ones I bought from The Garlic Store, and lack the colorful, papery outer covering. Is this a soil fertility issue or a timing issue? (I did wait until about 1/2 or more of the leaves were browned before harvesting.)

2. One scape was overlooked and set tiny bulbs; if I were to plant these, does anyone know how long before they would be ready for harvest? I suppose the size of the stalk might tell me, but anything I know in advance would be most helpful.

The flavor of the garlic is great, and I love having home-grown garlic to use in my cooking ... just wish they were as large and lovely as the originals!

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Diane in Coastal NJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Different locations, soil types, soil ammendments, climate, etc can give you a different appearance... some purple stripes can have less or more color because of this.

Fertility & watering can affect bulb size, as well as how long they've been in the ground--usually fall planted in October and harvested sometime in July.

I think the bulbils take about 2 seasons/years to get an appreciable size head. The first year they may make a round, and the next year a bulb.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 7:48AM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Different locations, soil types, soil ammendments, climate, etc can give you a different appearance... some purple stripes can have less or more color because of this.

Fertility & watering can affect bulb size, as well as how long they've been in the ground--usually fall planted in October and harvested sometime in July.

I think the bulbils take about 2 seasons/years to get an appreciable size head. The first year they may make a round, and the next year a bulb.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 10:52PM
oldroser(z5)

Garlic needs a rich soil. I dig a trench about 10" deep, half fill with composted cow manure and mix, then plant garlic. And side-dress with 10-10-10 in spring. Hard to give them too much fertilizer as long as soil is well-drained (mine started out as bank run gravel).

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 11:05AM
lilacs_of_may

I had the same problem with bulbs from the Garlic Store. I think in my case it was a mix of poor soil and not enough sun. The bulbs did fine. They're healthy. But they were smaller than I expected. This time, my second crop, I'm planting some in an adjacent bed, similar conditions but I'm putting in more compost, and some in a raised bed that gets full sun.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™