Landscape cloth

rvird01December 11, 2012

I'm planning my first rock garden ever. My yard is totally sand, so no drainage problems. Do I need to put landscape cloth under the rocks to keep out weeds and to keep the smaller stones from sinking into the sand during hard rains? Will the plants (sedums, hens and chicks, alpines) do well if I use the cloth? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Generally speaking, after three years weeds usually grow through landscape fabric making them even harder to remove.

tj

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 10:03PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

It would depend on your definition of a rock garden. If you really want to grow alpine plants,then a landscape cloth is never used. It is contradictory and potentially harmful to plants that need good air circulation at the crown as well as good drainage for their roots.

On the other hand, there are easy alpine type plants (like sedums and Hen and chicks) that can grow just about anywhere. They can tolerate landscape cloth.

This post was edited by leftwood on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 22:44

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 4:23PM
rvird01

Thanks to both of you. I decided I'll not use the cloth since it is easy to pull weeds from the sand. I'm putting in a variety of sedums, hens and chicks, aloes, cactus, ice plants, etc. i originally thought I'd do s small garden but my plans have grown to about 25 feet long :)

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
flagstone in the rock garden
I'm considering adding flagstone to my rock garden....
ensete2002
about flower
want to know all about it..anybody can help
hmerrillb
where to buy this dianthus
Hello! I lost all of these mini dianthus plants over...
dahlia6
rocks without dirt?
Hello. I don't exactly have a rock garden but I need...
adidas
Advice on new tufa alpine garden
I am (finally!) building a small alpine garden along...
sharradog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™