A few reference web sites

vmr423December 22, 2013

I imagine that everyone here is familiar with the 'Help Me Find' web site- it is a wonderful resource!

Two foreign-language web sites that you may not know about can be quite useful if you're looking for photos:

To use this Polish site, go to this address: http://www.roses.webhost.pl/

Look at the menu on the left and under 'Kategorie', click on the second category, 'Encyklopedia r�ü'. I don't know Polish, but I suspect this translates as 'Rose Encyclopedia', because that's what it is! It isn't nearly as extensive as HMF, but has quite a few rose photos that aren't in HMF. As you might expect, the emphasis is on roses that grow well in Europe- moderns and oldies are featured.

The second site is an academic botanical identification resource- not just roses, but there are quite a few roses featured, and there are quite a few photos of leaves, stems, thorns- not just pretty flowers. Many sites do not have nice, clear photos of rose plants, but so far I'm impressed with the ones I've seen. Again, moderns and oldies.

To see photo galleries at this EU site, go to this address:
http://dbiodbs.univ.trieste.it/carso/ico01

Under the search box, 'Famiglia / Family' use the drop-down menu to select 'ROSACEAE', then type 'Rosa' in the search box for 'Nome scientifico / Latin name'. Then click on the 'Cerca / Search' button to see an alphabetical list of roses they have featured.

If you like to use photos to help you ID roses, these resources may be useful supplements to HMF. I believe that the EU site has everything in English already, but you can use 'Google Translate' or some other machine translation service if you're using the first web site, and your Polish is not up-to-speed... Both web sites have lots of features, so you may want to click around to see what else is going on there.

And just for anyone who isn't familiar with HMF, here's that link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose search at 'Help Me Find'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

Thank you for the links. I'd like to add that HMF is experiencing financial difficulties and could really use a hand. Premium membership is $28. I would be at a loss without HMF.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 7:06PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

If I didn't pay the membership to HMF every year I'd feel terribly guilty because I also use it constantly. It's a small price to pay for what you get.

Thank you for the info, vmr423. It will be interesting to view other rose sites.

Ingrid

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 7:21PM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

I also like Help Me Find, and am sorry they are experiencing difficulties.

I do not go to English web sites since our temperatures are not even close to England, and I need roses that we take the heat.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
giving up
most of my clippings and practically all of my past...
Campanula UK Z8
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
RdV cane hardiness & shade tolerance?
I was wondering if anyone grows Reine des Violettes...
true_blue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™