Garlic seed stock pricing and planting shallots

puzzlefan(5)September 23, 2010

Has anyone else noticed the significant jump in prices for garlic stock this year? I decided to order extra to hold over next year so that the price would not be a problem.

I know when to plant my garlic (Music variety). Can I plant the shallots that I held over because they were so tiny this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curt_grow

OK, I just had to check out prices. I could not tell if they went up or not. Prices look the same as last year for the same garlic from the same farm, May be it is where I get them from did not raise? I did not check on the shipping.
As for the shallots, sorry I am no help on them.

Curt

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 7:32PM
bloosquall(Wa 6)

I saw a big jump in garlic prices this year..although Bob in Texas has held at $16 and opened a small online market for many small growers that want to be seen.

I raised mine $1 and tacked on the fee I had to pay for accepting Paypal. I think I'm far more reasonable than the big boys who demand $18 and offer customer no-service. I don't know what kind of shallots you have but I'm planting my french grays around October 5th

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 12:18AM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

Vendors at the local farmers market raised priced $1 this year, that was from $6 to $7 for garlic big enough to use for seed (not at nice as mine, though.)

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 10:50AM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

Please share your methods of keeping garlic for a year.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 10:51AM
puzzlefan(5)

I store my garlic in a cool and dark place. By July when I harvest the new garlic, I notice some sprouting. I am going to try to hold some of that for planting but also will have enough from the July 2011 harvest for replanting.

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 6:02PM
ctoc000

My garlic this year was not big, compared to what I grew the year before in 2009. We still have some of that garlic left (harvested in July 2009). Can I plant that garlic instead of the garlic I harvested in July 2010 ?? The older garlic is much bigger and still looks healthy.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™