bunching onions

alan8(8)September 8, 2009

I have a clump? of bunching onions in my garden that someone gave me back in the spring. I'm not sure what to do with them. Should I seperate them and plant them along the edge of my garden? When should I do this in South Alabama?

And one more thing...how are these onions used? Do you eat the bulbs and the tops?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantslayer(8)

If the onions are a clump that split from a single planting, it would probably be best to separate them and space them out a bit. They are not too demanding in terms of sunlight or soil quality.

Bunching onions pretty much do not bulb, and are eaten as scallions. You can make the stems (the white part of the stem) longer by heaping soil around them. The can be grown in early fall for Spring harvest, or in Spring for summer harvest. Many kinds will divide into multiple stems per planting, which can be separated and re-planted as described above.

They are a pretty easy crop to grow in my experience... I have seen any pests attack mine, and they can survive pretty bad weather. In China I saw people growing some varieties in very shallow tubs just a few inches deep. Also, since you don't have to worry about them bulbing or whatever, you can just harvest them whenever you want to, although onions harvested in summer can get pretty spicy.

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 8:28PM
kr222(6b)

Alan8, I'm glad you asked this question, because this is a question of mine as well. I've been growing bunching onions, but I'm not sure which parts to eat either. Can anyone answer these questions as well?
Do you eat just the white part or the green stalks as well? I haven't tasted them yet. Do they taste like....onions?
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 1:53PM
kmatcek(z8 lufkin TX)

You eat them just like you would spring onion. Every bit of it is edible. I eat everything but the roots.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 7:56AM
plantslayer(8)

They're not just _like_ spring onions, they _are_ spring onions. Eat the whole thing, discarding any layers or leaf bits that are dry and tough.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 1:42PM
promethean_spark

'Bunching onions' are not identical to 'spring onions'. Spring onions are regular bulb onions that are harvested before they bulb. Bunching onions never make a bulb, but do create more offsets than bulb onions.

If you look at the part of the plant where it turns from green to white, if it's shaped like a 'D' then it's a spring onion and if it's round it's a bunching onion.

Bunching onions have a milder flavor and are more suited to uncooked applications than spring onions.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 7:24PM
plantslayer(8)

I stand corrected. I guess I was thrown off because recipes seem to use them interchangeably. :)

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™