Comment on these Austins?

frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)December 22, 2012

Hi I'm wondering if anybody can tell me about the following Austins:

1. Harlow Carr
2. Hyde Hall
3. England's Rose
4. Fighting Temeraire

I'm interested in whatever you might have to say - beauty, rebloom, health, habit, etc. Someone on HelpMeFind described England's rose as being in color like a combination of Young Lycidas and Gertrude Jekyll, 2 of my absolute favorite Austins, so I'd love to hear more about this rose! I seem to remember reading something negative about Fighting Temeraire, but don't remember what or where. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ratdogheads(5b NH)

We planted Hyde Hall Hedging last summer. I am really pleased with this rose.

They were large healthy bare root plants ordered from David Austin. They're in full sun planted in rich loamy soil. They went in the ground in mid April and were in continual bloom from June until a November snowfall. Can't speak to hardiness yet, but as of today the foliage is still green.

We have serious blackspot and I do spray my other DA roses, but decided not so do so with Hyde Hall. I'd say they were 10% - 20% affected and there was no loss of foliage. That's pretty amazing for this region.

There was some variability in the bloom for on any given plant, see photos. The flowers are lovely, a warm pink which maintains color well. They only last a couple of days but that's ok because the profuse volume. No balling and open blossoms to withstand rain pretty well. Also the spent blooms clean well, a welcome quality in a mass planting. Mild fragrance, pleasant, sort of fruity - bubblegum.

Growth was shrubby and balanced, about waist high. One plant had a rogue cane that reached 5'. Very thorny!

I still haven't figured out how to post more than one picture at a time, so I will post another separately.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 7:48PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

I loved Harlow Carr for the short time I had it; this rose did not appreciate my dry oven summer temperatures although Austin's catalog says it tolerates heat well. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. It's a rose I would love to have thrive for me. Even as a youngster it was nice and bushy and I don't think it gets overly tall. It's the only one on your list I know about. The lilac pink color really appeals to me. I don't remember its fragrance, but I believe it did have some.

Ingrid

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 7:50PM
ratdogheads(5b NH)

Also Hyde Hall; some blooms were very full.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 7:53PM
frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)

Wow, those pictures of Hyde Hall are gorgeous! Thanks to you both for your comments. I'm really tempted by both of these roses!

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Tell me about the Noisette rose La Biche 1832
I obtained a beautiful 5 gal plant of the old Noisette...
fogrose
Sidewalk Flowers
by JonArno Lawson, illustrated by Sydney Smith I'm...
bellegallica9
Rain!
For those of us in drought-stricken areas of California,...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Companion plants for roses in drought-stricken California
Hi everyone! I have a small cottage garden in drought-stricken...
rathersmallbunny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™