Help with leeks needed, please

marknmtOctober 12, 2011

Good Morning! I planted a summer leek (sorry, I don't recall the name) this spring by digging trenches and filling them in as the plant grew. I applied a slow release all purpose fertilizer in the trench when planting.

It's starting to get cold here at night now and I'm lifting leeks as needed to cook with. I have two questions.

The first concerns the "baby" leeks that are growing up around the full sized ones. Many of the mature plants have one to four little clones attached to them. Can I plant those for next spring? They're about pencil sized.

My second question is about the degree and nature of bulbing. Is this determined entirely by cultivar choice or is there something I can do to decrease the size of the bulb while still getting a nice, fat white section?

Many thanks for your help.

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

Hi Mark,
first, I'm not quite sure about the small leeks. My first thought is that they will just sit there over the winter not doing much and next spring will put up a flower stalk.

Second, I think that leeks have been bred for less bulbing in order to increase the length of the stem. Some varieties still make a small bulb but it's more limited by variety than by nutrients.
There is another type of allium that makes a larger bulb,,,, it's called an onion. :)
Good luck

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™