My First Amaryllis to Rebloom

val1(z4 UT)January 27, 2012

I am relatively new to amaryllis. I had purchased them before and had never tried to get them to rebloom. Last year I purchased a Winter Wonderland at a local nursery. It had three stalks and bloomed beautifully. I loved it so much I decided to try to get it to rebloom.

So, I fertilized it after blooming and trimmed the leaves as they turned yellow. It has two leaves which are still very green but have started to fall over. I have staked them up. Today, I noticed that a bloom stalk is just starting to appear. I read on one website that I need to repot now with fresh soil. I would appreciated any suggestions as what to do.

By the way, it does have a bulblet in the pot with it that has nice green leaves. I have enjoyed this plant even when it is not blooming because the arching leaves are so different.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I wouldn't repot as it's beginning to send up a scape! Typically when bulbs are dormant, that's the time to repot. Yours is actively growing.
Just hang tight and give it some TLC!
K

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 1:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
val1(z4 UT)

Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking. My amaryllis always had beautiful green leaves and so I never repotted it because I thought they would all go yellow and die. I was planning to repot it then. How do you know if they are dormant? I wanted it to put as much energy back into the bulb as possible while the leaves were green, so I never repotted. Then up comes a bloom stalk. I am so happy it is going to rebloom. Last year it had three stalks, can I expect that again?

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
OK...who won the Houzz iPad??
It wasn't me! Although, with my new Houzz tape measure,...
I;m not Kahlua, who am I?
Title should be "I'm"...not "I;m"!...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™