My First Amaryllis to Rebloom

val1(z4 UT)January 27, 2012

I am relatively new to amaryllis. I had purchased them before and had never tried to get them to rebloom. Last year I purchased a Winter Wonderland at a local nursery. It had three stalks and bloomed beautifully. I loved it so much I decided to try to get it to rebloom.

So, I fertilized it after blooming and trimmed the leaves as they turned yellow. It has two leaves which are still very green but have started to fall over. I have staked them up. Today, I noticed that a bloom stalk is just starting to appear. I read on one website that I need to repot now with fresh soil. I would appreciated any suggestions as what to do.

By the way, it does have a bulblet in the pot with it that has nice green leaves. I have enjoyed this plant even when it is not blooming because the arching leaves are so different.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I wouldn't repot as it's beginning to send up a scape! Typically when bulbs are dormant, that's the time to repot. Yours is actively growing.
Just hang tight and give it some TLC!
K

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 1:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
val1(z4 UT)

Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking. My amaryllis always had beautiful green leaves and so I never repotted it because I thought they would all go yellow and die. I was planning to repot it then. How do you know if they are dormant? I wanted it to put as much energy back into the bulb as possible while the leaves were green, so I never repotted. Then up comes a bloom stalk. I am so happy it is going to rebloom. Last year it had three stalks, can I expect that again?

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Whites
I am fond of predominantly white Amaryllis. Some of...
brigarif Khan
Coming to life
My Amaryllis beds are coming to life
brigarif Khan
Mr. Patchy
Both flowers have these white patches, non other around...
brigarif Khan
Just opened today
H. Jewel, H. Papilio, and H. Montecarlo. H. Giraffe...
Photos from this evening!
It's saying my post is 6198000 characters over the...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™