Spanish 'Rioja' garlic?

wcthomasOctober 8, 2007

Hi all,

I bought some garlic for planting last week at the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival and one grower was selling Spanish "Rioja" garlic. I pointed out that I have always seen this variety spelled as Spanish "Roja", but he said he has seen it spelled both ways, and insisted it was the very same variety. Has anyone else ever seen it spelled as Rioja? Great wine, but I can't figure out why a professional grower who says he grows only this variety would not sell it under the well known name of Spanish Roja.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

I have never seen it other than Spanish Roja. I think Roja translates to red? There is also a garlic called Ajo Rojo that was originally named Spanish Rojo, but to avoid confusion with Spanish Roja, they went with a different name. Not to mention there's also another garlic variety called Roja Spanish!

Mark

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 4:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcthomas

My goodness, they do make the world confusing!

Yes Roja does mean red, and Rioja is one of my favorite red wines from the Rioja district in northern Spain (will be drinking some tonight!). I did find two references to Spanish Rioja garlic on the internet, but I suspect that they and this grower are simply confusing the name with the more well known Rioja wine, or perhaps taking some poetic license. In any case I bought a dozen bulbs of this hardneck and will give it a whirl alongside Killarney Red, which should be virtually identical to the Roja.

TomNJ

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™