Anyone use bulb tone when planting garlic?

gardenvtOctober 5, 2011

I was wondering what folks use for fertilizer when they plant garlic in the fall. Someone mentioned they use the bulb tone - anyone here use it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

Sorry, I don't know about bulb tone.
I've been growing great, large garlic for 15 years now and only use well aged manure based compost. That and some rock phosphate if I feel like the area needs it. I harvested about 400 lbs. this year, much of it was quite large.
Why bother with buying fertilizer when manure is free for the taking?
-Mark

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 1:13AM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

I've used Espoma BulbTone but not for garlic. I used it on shallots and it worked pretty good. I do wish I had a contact for some well aged manure based compost but all the folks around here who have manure want top dollar for it now that they know gardeners without animals want it. I settle for Poultry Manure by Espoma when I buy manure. I grow my garlic in containers (EarthBox) so my experiences will be a bit different.

Ingredients in Bulb-Tone:
Derived from: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized
Poultry Manure, Cocoa Meal, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal,
Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Sulfate of
Potash Magnesia.
*Contains 2.4% Slow Release Nitrogen.

DL

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 3:34AM
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

dancinglemons, how many cloves per box, and what spacing? Also, is there anything different I should know compared to growing them in the ground, or growing thins other than alliums? I've been growing garlic and using self watering containers for years, but never garlic in containers. My raised beds are increasingly filled with redwood tree roots.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 3:22PM
kristincarol

I grow in large raised beds. I use Dr. Earth brand 4-4-4 when planting and blood meal in late winter/early spring when the crop gets going again. I have in the past mulched with a combination of bagged chicken manure and composted ground bark product, but find the blood meal to be easier and better for my needs.

I also add organic amendments/nutrients when I feel like it--greensand, bone meal etc.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™