nicked garlic while peeling still ok to plant?

Prachi(6b (NJ))October 12, 2013

I am planting my garlic this weekend, I sat down and was peeling them any tips for this? I nicked the main body of the clove (it was a super huge clove too so I'd replace it but its really big).

What about the base of the clove... do you leave anyof the hard base part of the bulb or just pull it all off.

Does any of this matter?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I would not do anything other than just separating the cloves from the bulb, no nicking, no peeling . JUST PLANT IT AS IS, tip up, root side down. And I would not plant the tiny cloves in the center. Plant them about 6" apart.
The bigger the clove the bigger the plant.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 9:37AM
zqnmegan

just split the cloves as seysonn says, don't bother peeling the individual cloves or removing the basal plate, the roots grow out from the perimeter of the base of the cloves. my only reservation about planting a damaged/nicked clove would be that it could be more susceptible to a fungal infection.
If you haven't already finished separating/popping your bulbs, just remove the outer bulb wrappers and if they're hardnecks, cradle the base and jiggle the stalk to gently lever loose the individual cloves. Only plant the biggest outer cloves of your soft necks, if you want to plant the small inner cloves, keep them separate and harvest them early for use as garlic greens or if left to mature, you'll probably get rounds - undivided bulbs that you can eat or save to replant next year.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 1:00PM
Prachi(6b (NJ))

Thank you both!!! I haven't planted everything yet so I will do this for the rest.

I am trying to figure out where I got it in my head that I had to peel the whole thing! Oh well. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™