Spacing for Red Inchelium

rj_hythloday(8A VA)October 5, 2008

I want to plant some garlic in a container. It is 13" across and 12" deep round terracotta. I picked out the largest heads and saved the largest cloves of what I'm pretty sure is red inchelium from the store. I read that they should be spaced 3" - 4" apart. I'm thinking that I could plant 5 cloves in one container. How's that sound?

I filled the bottom w/ coffee grounds, egg shells and some cardboard, then compost and potting soil on top. I'm going to soak the cloves in red wine vinegar overnight and then rinse in rubbing alcohol, does that sound right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

So does 5 sound ok? or maybe I should only do 3 or 4? Any SFG garlic growers here?

Also to clarify it is supposed to be rinsed w/ rubbing alcohol right?

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 3:57AM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

Cannot imagine why one would go to the messy trouble of soaking the cloves before planting. I have never heard of that done here. I'd say skip the soaking and just plant 'em.

I grow in containers of a sort (they are 3 foot in diameter round raised beds) and I plant 3 to 4 inches apart regardless of variety. I use a soil-less mix consisting of potting soil, composted wood wastes (ground bark) and manure.

My suggestion is to get some half barrels (either wood or plastic) and use those. It would be a lot less labor intensive for you that way. Keeping all those small pots watered and fertilized would be a painful chore in my world.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 8:44AM
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

I may be moving soon or during the winter, military future is uncertain. I'm using the container as an alternative. I'm thinking I might be able to transplant them in the spring before the get too big? I read about the soaking in vinegar here. It came w/ the directions some one got from http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/ . I can't afford their prices right now, but I will get some different cultivars next year if I have an definite home front.

Here is a link that might be useful: gourmet garlic

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 10:35AM
bloosquall(Wa 6)

Rj,

I grew a few inchelium this year and will be planting some next week. These can get really large like 3"+. All my cloves get a 6" spacing no matter what they are. The alcohol is to kill any unwanted fungus that may be on the wrapper, good idea from a better safe than sorry point of view.

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™