Shallots--what to do??

wolverine1012October 23, 2012

I got my shallots in late this spring (closeout at the store that I couldn't resist). They're still actively growing. How much rest do they need before replanting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skeip

They should be in the ground by now.

Steve

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 12:29PM
wolverine1012

These are still some of the healthiest looking shallots I have ever seen. I wish that they looked this good all through the growing season. I'm tempted to just leave them alone and let them overwinter except that I hate trying to till around things that are still planted.

What would you do?

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 6:37PM
skeip

Sorry, misunderstood your question the first time. It's too late in the season to dig, dry and replant successfully. I would probably err on the side of caution and dig, divide and replant half of them, and leave the other half in the ground. Either way you're guaranteed some continuation of your line. If shallots, garlic and some onions are not dug and divided each season, the storage structure tends to get smaller and smaller and the tops more "grassy". At worse, next harvest, you'll have smaller shallots that you may have to grow on for a season or two to get them back to size. Good Luck.

Steve

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™