Order of Harvesting

rjcantorNovember 9, 2013

I've been able to find that Turban and Asiatic are the earliest ripening varieties, followed by Artichoke. And Silverskins appear to ripen last. What about the rest? As a general rule, from earliest to latest, how would you order Creole, Glazed PS, Marbled PS, Porcelain, Purple Stripe and Rocambole?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

I harvest all my purple stripes, porcelain and artichoke at the same time. I haven't noticed enough difference in the timing to warrant separate diggings. I have no Creole or Rocambole to speak of.
As you said, the Turbans and Asiatics come out earlier.

-Mark

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:59PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Probably the best answer to the question can be found in the link below. It is not only a question of which ripens first, but in knowing how to recognize when each type is ready to harvest.

And since the site also has photos & descriptions of every garlic in SSE's collection (just click on the 'Garlic' button) it is good garlic-flavored eye candy. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Vegetable Archive - Garlic FAQ

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 3:43AM
planatus(6)

Last year my Blossom turbans came in a month ahead of the hardnecks. I expected Silverskin to run late, but it was very much ready about the time the hardnecks were scaping. I have several varieties in my hardneck collection, from big Music to mid-size Appalachian to a small Korean strain, and they all come in at about the same time.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 9:21AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

For big scale market farming I am sure economics and convenience are factors, as MRAK said. But for me, the BACK-YARDENER simple indication is to watch for the leaves pattern. With about 100 plants I can manage to take care of that.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 3:07AM
More Discussions
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™