Green shoots showing - cut back or no?

JosefTKNovember 29, 2012

I�m in mid-upper NY State (Zone 5b) bordering MA. In 2011, I bought & planted, late in November, some Chinese garlic. It was ready to harvest before any of my other garlics this year.
This mid-October, I planted several garlic varieties using last year�s cloves, and now (late November), the Chinese is already showing 4 green leaves 6" above the ground while none of the other garlics show above the ground.
Before I mulch for the winter, I�m wondering if I should cut the green back to ground level or just mulch heavily on those Chinese garlics?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gemini_jim(7 MD)

Sounds like a Turban variety. They are early-maturing and early to break dormancy. I planted ~8 varieties between late October and late November, and the Turbans are first up for me too.

I would vote for no cutting. Wait until the ground is frozen or nearly so, and mulch them up. They should already have good root systems, so heave shouldn't be an issue; you just want to protect them from extreme cold (i.e. The tips may burn a little, but I think that is better than cutting the whole top. I suspect a cut plant would be more vulnerable to disease than a frost-burned one.

And don't forget to pull away the mulch in early spring to warm and dry the soil.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 2:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

No, don't cut back! I would wait on the mulch unless it is a lite mulch with the leaves still exposed to the sun until very low freezing temps are predicted. They will take some pretty low temps. The leaves are feeding the bulbs. Let them wilt before mulching unless the temps are going to be very low and freeze the ground.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™