Questions about onions

vegegrowerNovember 10, 2007

Hi, I'm thinking of growing onions, and producing my own seed. How long does it take for onions to seed, and what happens to the bulb when it does? Does the bulb multiply, and is not really a 'seed' (like a potato 'seed') or does it have a seed pod (or similar)????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Onions are usually biennials--they go to seed in the 2nd year. If the bulb overwinters fine, the following year it puts up a seed stalk and flowers. Usually a white or pink globe, perhaps 2'' round, made of tiny flowers that form black seeds when busted open.

You can also try growing sets and then replanting the largest sets, as they often go to seed more than the smallest sets.

I think what happens to the bulb depends on the variety/type. Multiplying & potato onions divide or multiply and rarely send up flower stalks. Egyptian or "walking onions" form bulbils up at the top of the plant, hence the term "topset" but I don't think they ever really "flower, per se. Some divide or multiply below ground but biggest reproduction is when the topset bulbils fall over to the ground and root and become plants. Standard onions that send up a flower stalk the onion bulb in the ground pretty much becomes useless for food--the center "eye" is green--it's the flower stalk. Some green onions multiply/divide. Some onion types like shallots can be perpetuated--they divide& multiply and form leaves, but if left in the ground will flower the following year and go to seed. The seeds fall and germinate and the whole process starts over again, growing bulbs, dividing/multiplying, growing leaves, overwintering, flowering, going to seed, etc, so what start out as, say, a few shallots, unharvested, can turn into a whole patch of hundreds a couple years later!

Hope this helps.

Mark

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vegegrower

Thanks. Will it seed if I plant a bulb, or would it be better if I bought seeds?

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 2:34AM
More Discussions
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™