question regarding transplants

woohoomanNovember 28, 2012

So far, I've only had success growing leeks and scallions. I've tried Utah Jumbo, but "Jumbo" they are not.

I have a variety of red and I've read that starting from sprouts is the way to go. So, I have a tub of sprouts about 10 in. long -- they're ready to go in the ground.

Let me try to get this right-- although I don't have dibble, I was going to use a pencil and poke holes 3 in. deep. Drop them in said holes and loosely fill with fine soil. Then trim the leaves to about 1 in. above surface.

Is that correct?

I've also read that they like Nitrogen. Is this true? I know they like Phosphorus, never heard they also like Nitro.
Should I be going heavy on the bone meal AND the cottonseed and/or regular feedings of fish fert. through the season?

Thanks.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

You wrote: "I've tried Utah Jumbo, but "Jumbo" they are not. "

That's because it's a long-day onion. You need a kind that's categorized as short-day.

To be successful with bulbing onions in your region, ask the nearby large garden centers what's the best kind to grow.

And/or contact the Master Gardeners at the San Diego Extension Service office. Find that office with this clickable map:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

Jean001a:

I thought they were more of an intermediate-day. So, even if I grow Utah Jumbos in the SUMMER, they probably won't do well here?

Frickin' Home Depot! They're purchasers need to more "locale specific" when it comes to the seeds they order.

Thanks

Kevin

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™