Multiplying onion planting date

durable_now(8a)December 30, 2012

I have about a dozen multiplying onion bulbs I want plant but am not sure when to put in ground.I usually plant my regular onion sets early Feb. but on the box they came in large red letters says protect from freezing.I'm in zone 8a (Dallas Tx) so do I need to waite 'till tomato planting time (mid March)or
earlier? later? when?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

I'm not sure about planting times in Texas. But "on the box they came in large red letters says protect from freezing" means while they are being shipped. Once in the ground they should be OK.

I plant mine in the fall. My ground never freezes enough to hurt them up here in 7b-SC so I doubt they would be damaged in 8a-TX!

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 12:36PM
Debi5045

My family planted multiplying onions when I was a child. I would like to buy some bulbs to plant this year. I would like some of the topset egyptian onions too. If anyone has some please e-mail me at dyorek@andersonoilltd.com. thanks for your help

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:28PM
planatus(6)

Mine are up and growing in 6b after their winter rest. Get those babies in the ground.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:51AM
skeip

There is some debate in the "multiplying onion" community as to which planting time is best and in which climate. I am in Z5 and have always planted mine at the same time as I plant my garlic, in the Fall for over-wintering in the ground, but others I know are waiting to plant until spring, and having just as successful a crop, but a later harvest.

Try both and see what works best for you. In gardening as with many things, there is no hard and fast rule!

Steve

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™