when to plant onion seed indoors

wolverine1012December 19, 2010

How soon before setting out should the seeds be planted indoors? I'm sure this has already been asked and answered but I looked back several months and then got lazy and decided to just ask again. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsntech(5b)

Hi Wolverine -

You should start onion seed about 12 weeks inside prior to setting them out. Onions are frost-tolerant so they can be set outside as long as it won't have a hard-freeze.

I did some viability testing on my seeds last weekend - Copra onion seed that I received in January is still good; 18 out of 18 sprouted 11 months later. I'm a good 1.5 months early before starting onion seed inside, but I'm going to see if I can baby these onions and keep them around until April when I'll put them outside. Always seem to be doing some kind of experiment.

The earlier you can get the seeds set outside, the better. That is because around June 21st is the summer solstice and after this point, onions no longer will produce their "leaves" but begin bulbing. The more "leaves" they have, the larger your bulb will be.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 10:17AM
trisha_51(5 Nebraska)

The onions I planted from seed last Feb and transplanted into my Kenai, AK garden in May were still producing leaves the end of Sept when I had to finally pull them. Only a few had 'bulbed'. I'd like to plant some more from seed, but need a variety that will 'bulb' and not just go on enjoying the weather! :)

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 3:34PM
gladgrowing(6a)

In Zone 6, i start my onions, Leeks, and Shallots anytime in Mid-January to end of February.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™