can i grow store bought onions

bluedog194December 17, 2005

i was wondering if i could grow any onions i've bought at the store. i have at the moment an onion that is resting on a vase and it's roots are touching the water. so far the onion that is store bought has started to grow roots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Yes and no. You can plant them and they will grow. However, if it's a bulb already, the next big growth spurt will be to produce a seed stalk. The bulb then will not only not grow any bigger but it will become smaller and eventually almost disappear into the base of the stalk.

If it's a green onion, then it depends upon the variety. Many scallions are actually thinnings from sweet bulbing types. If they have roots and are planted, it's just like planting any other onion plant. Those should then produce a bulb if planted at the normal time for the variety.

Martin

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 7:47PM
bluedog194

thanks for the info.

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 10:35PM
negi(8b)

I have read where if you cut an onion in half and plant the bottom half cut surface over the dirt, it will sprout lots of mini onions. I have tried this with two varieties so far and have only gotten the one center onion to grow. I have not given up on it, and as time progresses I will try it with more varieties.

Bookmark   January 18, 2006 at 5:58PM
paradisi(Sunshine Coast)

I use the rotten forgotten onions to produce greens and eventually seeds

the red spanish onions are the best (that's what they're called in australia - a sweet salad onion with a red skin)
I get five or six months of green stalks and use them like thick tasty chives, before they get the better of me and start producing seeds. needless to say the seeds get used.

i;ve also found that some of the onions produce bulblets before the flower and these can be used to grow into small onions or for more of the greenery

Bookmark   January 19, 2006 at 7:00AM
negi(8b)

I would love to know what varieties produce bulblets for you. Plants that reproduce vegetatively as well as by seed are much more stable for hybridization!

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 8:41PM
biinaboo

Someone on the vegetable forum is. He has a rather long thread going too. He went dumpster diving for greens to put in his compost and found some really good looking sets that he decided to plant instead. You might want to check it out.

kristiina

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 10:04AM
rain1950(W. WA z8)

I have onions growing that were started from the botton 3/16" that I trimmed off of green onions. I understand that you could also cut this small portion into sections and it will grow (next experiment)

Bookmark   January 27, 2006 at 5:12PM
compassionateangel

I have white onions, with about ten inche stems growing from them...I am going to throw them in the ground and water them, am I wasting my time LOL...anyway,..just curious..

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 10:08AM
robin303(8b Tx)

As a joke I bought two bundles of green onions and planted them one year and had excellant results.

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 10:22AM
compassionateangel

Hey, cool...now I will try to do the same LOL...thanks for that!

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 4:07PM
vegegrower

I think I will try it too. I would like a seed onion

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 8:39PM
southpoint

I got a bunch of big overripe onions recently from the market. They have all big green sprouts growing out of the tops. Can I cut the onion in half and plant the sprout portion or the other half?

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 2:51PM
promethean_spark

I've considered planting cippolini onions from the store for seed - but at $2.50 for half a dozen little onions the seed is actually cheaper. Sometimes bulbs in the market have been treated with growth inhibiting hormones or irradiated to prevent them from growing, which ensures that they rot rather than grow.

I've planted garlic and elephant garlic from the grocer and both worked well. Shallots I've tried 3 times to complete failure (shallot sets produced universal success) so I think shallots are usually treated somehow to prevent sprouting.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 3:29PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

First of all, it is too late to plant onions(from sets) in zones 7 and higher.
Second, if you plant a big onion(sprouted already or not) it will grow
lots of shoots and one scape that will grow flower and seeds.
But even if it did not flower, you will get just one onion.
I buy small pearl onions and plant them. The smaller, the better for planting.
But You have to do that 8 weeks before your last frost date or earlier.

Sure, you can plant store bought scallions if they sell them 25 cents a bunch.
For best results smaller ones are better. Keep atleast two inches, bury one inch in the ground.
You can go the same with leeks, to use the green like chives. You cut, they will grow back.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 5:23AM
dannyangle_rocketmail_com

At the minute I have an onion that is sitting in a small
see-through vase, so far so good. It has grown
roughly 50-60 roots and they are still continuely
growing. All I need to know is....
What will this grow into?

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™