probably not chico

jessiann63January 15, 2014

hello everyone I registered here 3 years ago and only posted once i think. So i guess its time to jump in. I purchased chico 2 years ago and it's just now making a scape. The scape is 41 inches tall so i'm gonna assume it's not chico. Does anyone have a clue what bulb I have? I can't wait for it to open.

Louana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

It could be Chico, some of these cybisters can get pretty tall especially if they aren't getting enough light. Keep us posted!

Donna

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:49PM
jessiann63

i didn't know that Donna. Thanks for the info. I'll post a picture as soon as it opens.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 6:29PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Wow!!!! My H. Sumatra scape was 36"+ and I thought THAT was tall.
K

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 6:03AM
jessiann63

Donna you were right it is chico on a 44 inch scape! Do you think the scape will hold up if i attempt to get seeds?

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 5:20PM
dondeldux

Louana,

Chico is capable of setting seeds on a rootless bulb which I'm just assuming yours is as it must be new as you weren't sure what it was. I had these seedpods last year on my then rootless Chico. Unfortunately, the cross I chose did not produce viable seeds (at least not for me) but If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to try. Papilio should take and possibly Exotic Star as well as other cybisters. I'd try a few if you have the pollen or just try a self! Chico produces very small seeds. It's worth a try...

Donna

Here is my rootless Chico last year with all these seedpods that did produce seeds.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:31PM
jessiann63

wow look at all the pods with no roots!! That's amazing. I got my chico last season but it didn't flower until now. It's had all summer to root, so i'm sure its rooted well. I will try to cross it with something. I have frozen pollen from exotic star from last season. My papilio is just sending up a scape. I'm not sure if it will be open in time. My La Paz is almost open or maybe it's Lima from what I been reading on here. I'll be posting a picture when it opens to make sure i got the right ID on it. Thanks so much for your help Donna.

Louana

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:54PM
dondeldux

Don't forget to post a picture of your Chico when she is in her full glory!
Glad to hear that your Chico is fully rooted; you shouldn't have any problems producing seedpods. Good luck...Donna

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 9:05PM
salpal(4)

Please save some pollen from chico and put it on papillio, that is one cross I wish I had!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:25PM
jessiann63

Here she is all opened up. I can't wait to start crossing. i'm new at this and not very lucky, but I do hope to get a few seeds......salpal I will do that and let you know how it turns out.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 3:25PM
dondeldux

Louana,

She's is beautiful!! But, you should have removed all the anthers before they opened as now you won't ever be 100% sure that it isn't a self. But fear not, as salpal says put some Chico on papilio; that's a sure fire cross to take and produce beautiful flowers. Just remember to remove papilio's pollen before the anthers open to reveal it's pollen. I am growing some seedlings of Chico x papilio; some of my own and some given to me by others and they are doing well. There are some drop dead gorgeous photos of the results of this cross posted by Hans-Werner on this forum who made this successful cross years ago.

Donna

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:04PM
jessiann63

Donna thanks for having so much patients with a newbie. I was afraid to remove the anthers to soon i wasn't sure they would make pollen if i cut them off to early. I now know to cut them right away.
I've seen some of the photos of Hans-Werner's crosses, he has made some beautiful flowers. I would love to walk through his greenhouse when his bulbs are in bloom.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:57PM
dondeldux

I routinely remove the anthers before they show any sign of opening and just put them in a plastic cup and within a few days they will open and a few day later it can be stored for later use.

Certain varieties will open their pollen sacs before the flower itself is even open and then it becomes difficult and sometimes I have to prematurely open the flower to get them out!

Some varieties have shorter stigmas that are barely 1/4 longer than the anthers and then it's difficult but some varieties have very long stigmas that you can sometimes cover with a piece of cut straw if you haven't removed the pollen in time. Leave the straw covering the stigma for a few minutes until all the pollen stops flying around and you may be OK.

I know this is all more than you wanted to know but just in case....

Donna

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:10PM
jessiann63

Donna, I don't think anyone can learn to much about someting they are interested in, and I am definitely interested in making a successful cross in the near future. So with that said I welcome all tips and tricks anyone is willing to give me. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, I appreciate it.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
What's Blooming this week.......
Papilios on parade...... H. Ieniemienie H. Barbados H....
jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)
RED BLOTCH?
I noticed the other day that a new amaryllis bulb that...
chris_p1
a few blooms
Hello Everyone! Here are some flowers that have opened...
chinhster
My uni-colours
The second to follow
brigarif Khan
Coming to life
My Amaryllis beds are coming to life
brigarif Khan
Sponsored Products
Illumine Bathroom Lighting 1-Light Brushed Nickel Vanity Fixture with Frosted
$55.99 | Home Depot
Christopher Knight Home Lisette Backless Leather Bar Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Elite Home Fashions Neal Linen Curio Tower - 7459
$99.74 | Hayneedle
Sonneman | Stiletto 24 Inch LED Pendant Light
$650.00 | YLighting
H1400 Linear Series Sconce by Illuminating Experiences
$78.00 | Lumens
Hover Pendant by LBL Lighting
$176.00 | Lumens
New Lori Buft Fire Red Box Design 6x8 HandKnotted Wool Veg Dyed Gabbeh Rug H5804
BH Sun Inc
KitchenAid Pro Line Series 4 Slice Toaster
$399.99 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™