Help,Tell Me Exactly What To Do Now..

bulldinkie(pa)January 14, 2012

Ihave 3 plants,done blooming.What now,I was told put out in flower bed pot & all for summer,then bring in fall,it bloomed in june.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Cut the flowers stalks and continue to grow the leaves. Make sure to feed it regularly too. After danger of frost put outside for the summer.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 9:29AM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

It appears you live in Pennsylvania. Don't put your bulbs outside until the danger of frost has passed. Please read the FAQ - do not reply to them - for complete information on how to get the most from your bulbs.
Kristi

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 9:34AM
bulldinkie(pa)

Do you plant or just lay somewhere?Thank you for the info..

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 3:28PM
dondeldux

Bulldinkie.. (why does that name bring a smile to my face??)

You can take them out of their pots if you wish and plant directly in the ground, or..you can set the pot half in the ground, or.. you can just put the pots on a deck or somewhere in your garden area..making sure to water occasionally and feed with 1/2 strength fertilizer each time you water because hippeastrums are heavy feeders since they have to grow 6-7 strapping leaves during summer in order to bloom again for you next year. Several hours of sun or dappled sun is necessary..a good amount of sun..helps..doesn't have to be full sun.

Donna

Oh, And when I plant directly in the ground(no pot) I cover the entire bulb with soil..and I find that they can take more watering and more food when planted directly in the soil. (of course, I have a sandy well draining soil, If you have clay, I would water less frequently.) I've found they do grow better in the soil directly..just my personal observation...

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 4:22PM
joshy46013

My Hippeastrum grow really well in the ground, I have clay soil, I planted mine out last spring and their blooms were amazing, much better than if they were in a pot! The flowers were twice as big and the colors were amazing. I should've taken pictures..

Josh

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 10:48AM
bulldinkie(pa)

Thank you all that helped,you like bulldinkie huh?Its the name of our one mini donkey she doesnt have the usual markings on her face,she looks like a baby moose,So we weresetting up computer.My son was suppose to use bulldinkie,for password instead user name,I do hear about it,but no not a bulls dinkielol lol

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 10:00PM
dondeldux
    Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Seeds from Argentina
Hi Donna, I bought some seeds in Argentina and one...
orchids_grower_1946
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
pink amaryllis
I've been going through a pink phase. Here are some...
chinhster
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
Hippeastrum 'Belicia', any knowledge?
Hi everyone, The thing is my recently purchased White...
lenanen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™