Mystery Amaryllis

BJ43(6)January 30, 2012

Hello, I've been reading your comments to learn as much as I can, and it's been enjoyable for me. I have a bulb that was labeled as 'Picotee' but I know that is wrong. I'm going to attempt inserting a photo and hope you can tell me what the name should be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
npublici(Zephyrhills,Fl)

I had a Picotee which had that appearance,because it had mosaic virus.
Del

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 10:52PM
BJ43(6)

Thanks, I never thought of that. Did you destroy your bulb or how did you treat it? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Brenda

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 2:22AM
dondeldux

Brenda, If you should decide to get rid of it (it does look suspiciously like it's virused, but maybe just severe stress) you might try to self it and grow a few seeds on. The seeds will be virus free.. so the experts say.. so, you can save it through some seeds..just a thought....just don't put it's pollen on anything else....Good Luck with your decision...

Donna

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 3:59PM
BJ43(6)

Donna,
Thank you. I'll try getting some seeds from it. I've not been growing amaryllis very long and everyone's posts are helpful to me.
There seems to be a lot of friendship among you and I like that.

Brenda

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 12:02AM
pizzuti(5A)

Take a picture of the leaves and we'll tell you if it has mosaic virus.

Lot's of hippeastrums survive very well and for a long time with the virus and, additionally, it is not very contagious. I just found out last year that a heirloom variety that has been in my family for 70+ years is infected with a mosaic virus, now that I know the symptoms. It has NEVER spread to any of the other varieties and the ones that are infected are very healthy - they grow, bloom and multiply as normal, they just have a funny checkerboard pattern on the leaves that appears every now and then (but not always) when the plant is under stress.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 5:45PM
joshy46013

Mosiac Virus is transmitted quickly and easily by sucking insects like aphids, mealy bugs, grasshopper, caterpillar (etc). It is quite contagious.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Seeds from Argentina
Hi Donna, I bought some seeds in Argentina and one...
orchids_grower_1946
Nititii P.
Red Flaslh
If I have a favorite Komoriya bulb I think Red Flash...
jstropic
Seeds from Argentina
Yes they are twins but the seedlings have the leaf...
orchids_grower_1946
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™