Gardens in China to Visit

bluesloth(z8 OR)February 15, 2006

In march I will be visiting Hong Kong, Guilin/Yangshuo area and Beijing.

Anyone know of any particularly stunning gardens/parks to visit while I am there. I won't have much time, but would still like to see some if I can fit it in.

Beijing will still be a little cold, so I would definitely want there to be some winter interest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daai_tou_laam(Hong Kong)

Gardens to visit in Hong Kong?

March 3-12 will be the Hong Kong Flower Show in Victoria Park.

Otherwise, you can visit the Conservatory in Hong Kong Park on Hong Kong Island. The Park is a nice walk anyway and the Consevatory has some interesting specimens, like durian and cacao.

If you want to get out of the city and travel up to the New Territories, there is Kadoorie Farms and Botanical Gardens. Be warned though to bring comfortable/hiking shoes, water, and dress appropriately. 1475 foot elevation difference between the entrance to Kadoorie Farms and the top of the gardens. But there are some lovely gardens to check out.

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 11:09PM
daai_tou_laam(Hong Kong)

An update to the dates above:

The Humid House at the Conservatory in Hong Kong Park will be closed through the end of March. That is where the durian and cacao trees are located.

But the dry house and the show room are still open and there are some interesting specimens to check out.

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 10:58PM
pacnwgardener

A 1989 book on roses mentions the Fa Tee Nursery "2-3 miles upriver from Canton", visited both by an English explorer in the 1840s & a garden writer nemed Hazel Le Rougetel in her 1981 book "A Heritage of Roses"... she called it "Hwa Di" in the Cantonese dialect...

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Persian Lime and Pummelo in pots
Does anyone know where I could buy Persian Lime, Pummelo...
summer_fashion
Chinese Name for Witch Hazel?
Trying to figure out...
redsun9
Fruit trees from seed
Hi everyone, I've heard it's pretty easy to grow Annona...
peaseblossom
Division of Zingiberaceae
Hi all wondering what the 'rule of thumb' is when it...
cherax
What plant is this?
My mom gave this plant to me, for as long as I can...
mythumbisblue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™