Osmanthus yunnanensis

nomadic(z8 PNW)May 13, 2006

Hi.

I got this plant from the Portland Classical Chinese Garden. Would like to hear about personal experiences, info on cultivation, hardiness, pests, fragrance, etc.

Thanks.

J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ntt_hou

Osmanthus is grown as evergreen in Texas. It is a large bush and its flowers are very fragrant, resemble of the Jasmine flowers. Another common name is Sweet Olives.

I've inhereted 2 from my mom. They remind her of the tea she had in Vietnam. Vietnamese is hoa moc. The tea is called Tra Hoa Moc. Nowadays, it's much easier to get Osmanthus Oolong Tea or just the dried flowers online. Although, resembling the Jasmine, this tea has a distinguish fragrant of its own. If you like Jasmine tea, you should try Osmanthus Oolong tea. If Oolong is too strong for you, you may buy just the dry flowers and mix it with your favorite green tea.

Mine are both in a large pot. They actually should be on the ground. I don't do much to it except water it. It flowers during March and April.

At where I work, it is planted in a long row. This row of Sweet Olives goes from shade to partly shade to full sun. They all do just as well.

I don't know how cold it gets where you're at. If your plant is still small, maybe you should keep it in a pot and bring it in during the winter. Since it's a bush, you can keep it trimmed so it'll stay in the pot.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmanthus

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 12:25AM
wynnho

Can the tea olive, (Osmanthus heterophyllus), also be used in tea??/ SAy YES !

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 11:21PM
wynnho

I check: fragrant tea olive, easy enough to find, IS called 'tea' olive because it is used to scent tea in China. Thank you for the suggestion. I am NUTS about jasmine tea, but am tired of the upkeep of vines.

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Has anyone planted tulips succesfully in around Thailandzone?
I've shipped some nice tulip bulbs from holland to...
muckpuk
Pandanus amaryllifolius/ Pandan edible spice?
Hi, I found a place that carries this spice. I was...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Fruit trees from seed
Hi everyone, I've heard it's pretty easy to grow Annona...
peaseblossom
Division of Zingiberaceae
Hi all wondering what the 'rule of thumb' is when it...
cherax
What plant is this?
My mom gave this plant to me, for as long as I can...
mythumbisblue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™