amarylis

jacqui.kamFebruary 18, 2013

Hi, Kristi and other old friends on this forum. It's been a long time and a lot of personal problems, but I am back again with a question. My bulb has, since last year ( she flowered) developed a side sprout. Last year I cut it off but this year it has appeared again. At the moment in S of France she is indoors and just starting to sprout, with the addition. What do I do about the added extra? Is it the bulb naturally dividing? It's in a pot about 20cm(7ins) diam.

Hope to hear from you all again, Jacqui

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Dear Jacqui.... WELCOME BACK!!

Yes your bulb is sending out offsets, which is completely natural and some bulbs do it more rapidly than others. Lucky you to have such a prolific bulb.

I would let the side bulb grow big enough so the it has a set of its own healthy roots. You might consider putting the bulbs into a larger pot to allow these offsets to grow further before you separate them, Or even allow them to remain in the pot with the mother bulb so that you get a nice cluster of bulbs.

Photos please....
Hope you are doing well. Shoot me an email as I have something you might be interested in. (Not the book, which has gone nowhere since our last conversation!)

Hugs,
Kristi

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 9:35AM
jacqui.kam

Dear Kristi, thanks for the advice. I will send a pic when it gets a bit bigger, the shoots are only a couple of inches at the moment. Mine always seem to appear much later than those in the shops.
I am a bit rusty at this so I do not have your mail address.
Love Jacqui

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:03AM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I just sent you a message to you .kam address.
K

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Hippeastrum 'Belicia', any knowledge?
Hi everyone, The thing is my recently purchased White...
lenanen
Another mislabel
Well my replacement bulb for Cirque du Soleil turned...
jstropic
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
The brighter side of a cold and snowy day...
3 Flower Papilio Bulb #2 opens it's flowers
mariava7
Worsleya aka Blue Amaryllis
I thought I would post my latest pics to a more reasonably...
bluebonsai101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™