Mosaic virus symptoms in flowers?

macroclemysFebruary 10, 2014

Does anyone have experience with the symptoms of MV in flowers? All the flowers on the third scape of my Monaco have these white blotches, but there are no such markings on the back of the tepals. And the the markings do not have the blocky look of MV on leaves. Is this MV?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

I had this happen to my one pot of Pink Diamonds about 2 years ago; one flower opened like yours above. No suspect marks on any of my leaves though so I kept it isolated during the summer in a far corner of the yard and all the leaves were still pristine. A few months ago it bloomed again with 4 stalks from my 2 bulbs (only 2 flowers per scape) and all the flowers were perfect.

I wouldn't panic just yet but you might keep your plant separated from your others until you grow it out this summer as I'm sure you already know that it's the hot sun that brings the virus out on the leaves.

Strangely enough I have never had an afflicted flower on any of my obviously virused plants.

As of this fall of my virused bulbs except 2 were planted in the ground for the winter for the first time. I picked a great year to try this didn't I?? Hopefully the 6 to 8 inches of mulch and the stone wall they are planted in front of will protect them from freezing.

If you research virused bulbs and color changes in the flowers on this forum you will find several conflicting views on this subject so this is just my experience with virused bulbs and I've have had many of them!

Donna

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 11:12AM
macroclemys

Thanks Donna,
I will keep it isolated, just in case.
Bill

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 6:27AM
oleg9grower

I guess it is the job of thrips (taeniotrips) - it bugs, they jump and fly. They damage the flowers and cause the appearance of such spots.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 2:13PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I think they also can work their way into the bud prior to the bloom unfurling and do their damage.
K

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 3:13PM
macroclemys

I'll take thrips over virus any day!

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 7:37PM
oleg9grower

This is understandable. :)) But thrips - this is one of the main transporters of viruses.

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 21:55

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
yellow flowering Hippeastrum
Who can help me to get a yellow flowering Hippeastrum?...
ton2
Seeds from Argentina
Yes they are twins but the seedlings have the leaf...
orchids_grower_1946
Help ID mislabeled hipies needed please
Hi everybody I bought 2 Giraffes and I was so happy...
tsucath
Seeds from Argentina
Hi Donna, I bought some seeds in Argentina and one...
orchids_grower_1946
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™