Moringa seed - How to sprout

jas_ilOctober 4, 2009

Hi all,

I have ordered some Moringa (drumstick) seeds. I would like any info about sprouting seeds. What method is best and do you soak seeds? I would like to hear your experiences.

Any feedback would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks

Jasmine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vegheadgirl

Yes, you should soak the seeds for about a day, no matter what method you use. The easiest way to get the seeds to sprout is by using the baggie method. The baggie method is where you soak the seed in warm water for about a day and place the seed in a plastic ziploc bag and then put the seed in a dark warm place like a dresser drawer. The seed should start to sprout within a few days. Be careful when you take the sprouted seed out of the bag, because moringas are really fragile as seedlings. When I tried this method, my seed started to sprout in about 3 days! I took it out of the bag before anything actually grew out from the seed, just to be on the safe side, and planted it directly in a one gallon pot (moringas dont like being in small pots since they grow so fast). Another method you could use would be to soak the seed and directly plant it in the ground, but then you cant see the stages of the seed actually sprouting. The baggie method is more fun! :)

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 1:21PM
jas_il

vegheadgirl,

Thanks a lot. I will try the method you mentioned and hope my seeds will sprout. Thanks for explaining everything in detail.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 4:39PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I usually soak in water for maximum of 24 hours and then into the soil they go. I've only had one seedling fail this way, possibly dug up by squirrels or maybe I tried starting it when it was too cold (Jan in FL). These things sprout and grow REALLY quickly if it is hot enough.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Chinese Garden Information
suggesting a Chinese Garden Info Site -contains great...
williamconway99
Pandanus amaryllifolius/ Pandan edible spice?
Hi, I found a place that carries this spice. I was...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Fruit trees from seed
Hi everyone, I've heard it's pretty easy to grow Annona...
peaseblossom
How to start a vegetable garden
Hi all, I am very new to GardenWeb. I would love to...
asiangarden2table
Tsau Ping Lak, Atalantia buxifolia
If you Google the Atalantia buxifolia (formerly Severinia...
zorba_the_greek
Sponsored Products
Sage Countertop Greenhouse
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Villa Stripes Flatweave Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - SUNSET BEACH
$889.00 | Horchow
Progress Lighting Roman Coach Collection 1-Light Antique Bronze Wall Lantern P57
$56.44 | Home Depot
Smart Solar Path & Landscape Lights San Rafael Estate Mission Solar Candle
$50.39 | Home Depot
Old World Standing Magnifier
| Dot & Bo
Archer Rug 8' x 10' - GRAY
$649.00 | Horchow
Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Old Bronze Seeded Glass Hanging Lantern
Home Depot
Nantucket Fluorescent Post Light by Troy Lighting
$744.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™