Dealing with aphids and other bugs

srilunewgardenerNovember 26, 2012

This is my first year of gardening. I planted okra, indian cucumeber(Dosa Kaya), Gongura, clusted beans and some other vegetables in March. I started picking up okra and gongura by may/june. But, Okra and Gongura were badly infected with Aphids and I had to chop off the entire plant.They both were yeilding very well when the Aphid problem started and I didn't know how to control them. I lost them completely. My cucumber and cluster beans also got some decease and dead withing few days after the desease started. We worked really hard to make the garden beds and plant the garden and were left with great disappointment. Please let me know how to deal with these pests and deceases to be better prepared for the next season. I really prefer organic solution.

Thank you,

Srilu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toucan(9)

Try Diatomaceous Earth. You can get a huge bag at some feed stores. Sometimes they carry smaller bags at Home Depot, but mine only carries DE laced with insect killing chemicals. DE is organic.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 11:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaya77

Try neem oil based insect spray. Buy ladybugs from and garden store they can eat 2000 aphids they are really good ...from my experience I buy ladybugs every year.also try growing beneficial flowers and herbs that distract the insects

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Looking to buy a curry leaf plant
Hi friends, Is anybody who lives closeby willing to...
vid_nand
Has anyone planted tulips succesfully in around Thailandzone?
I've shipped some nice tulip bulbs from holland to...
muckpuk
Moringa Oleifera
Hi. I am looking for fresh leaves and Moringa Seeds. Does...
Aniko
Persian Lime and Pummelo in pots
Does anyone know where I could buy Persian Lime, Pummelo...
summer_fashion
Tiger Lillys
Greetings, I posted this question on a different forum...
edspangler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™