Japanese Stewartia

chris209November 16, 2012

I'm thinking of purchasing a Japanese Stewartia, but have some reservations. Does this tree produce an abundance of flowers, or are they not very showy? I can't seem to find a picture of it in full bloom, so I'm thinking it's not really grown for the flowers as much as it is for its form, bark and fall foliage. What are you feelings about this species? How about Korean Stewartia? Are they very different? Would I be better off with a magnolia?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I have grown several different varieties of Stewartia. I like the S.monadelph the best. It has smaller leaves and a real nice port red fall color. Bark is fantastic! It also reseeds here and there.
Stewartias are like a deciduous Camellias except the flowers don't play such a dominant role.
Mike

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kpaquette

I was just lurking on this forumâ¦but I thought I'd answer. I have a Korean Stewartia. It's blooming now, actually. This year I have only a few blooms as we had a pretty severe winter and i'm assuming some winter damage - but normally it is laden with buds.

Mine does not bloom in a flush like other flowering trees. Rather, it blooms over a few weeks and the flowers themselves only last for a couple of days before they drop. As some drop, more bloom. If that makes sense. I do love it, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stewartia 'v. koreana' at Avant Gardens

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Chinese Garden Information
suggesting a Chinese Garden Info Site -contains great...
williamconway99
Looking for bamboo, etc.
I have already posted to the bamboo exchange forum,...
watergarden2006
Persian Lime and Pummelo in pots
Does anyone know where I could buy Persian Lime, Pummelo...
summer_fashion
Ceylon Olives
Anyone know anything about Ceylon Olive trees? Elaeagnus...
flatwoods_farm
tamarin
Hi all, i'd bought some fresh, ripe tamarin to eat,...
tintin002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™