Surti papdi

llaz(z6 ma)February 11, 2013

Does anyone have an opinion about whether or not I should be able to grow Surti Papdi Indian beans in Zone 6b? What is the English or scientific name for this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Probably. It seems to be a type of broad bean (Vicia faba)

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 6:01PM
llaz(z6 ma)

Thanks. Maybe it's a fava bean that does well in warm weather. The pods are eaten with the young beans. I've never done that, but I know some people eat young favas, pods and all.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 11:33PM
greentiger87

I think there's a lot of confusion as to what species surti papdi actually refers to. It probably refers to different species in different regions.

In some regions, it definitely refers to Lablab purpureus, formerly known as Dolichos lablab. Common names include hyacinth bean, lablab, and Indian bean.

White hyacinth bean is more commonly grown in the north (white flowers, light green pods, tan dry mature beans) and the purple hyacinth bean is more commonly grown in the south (pink-purple flowers, purple pods, purple-brown dry mature beans).

One scientific paper refers to "surati papadi" as a cultivar of (Lablab purpureus (L.) sweet).

Others refer to them as a variety of broad beans, Vicia faba, that are eaten as (cooked) green beans.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:34AM
chaman(z7MD)

Pic. of Surti papdi

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Tsau Ping Lak, Atalantia buxifolia
If you Google the Atalantia buxifolia (formerly Severinia...
zorba_the_greek
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
JCTsai
Absolutely new to Gardening: Edamame + Barley
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes...
niveus
lemon grass rooting from less base than I thought possible
I'd scrutinized the lemon grass at the local stores...
merrybookwyrm
have anybody purchased plants from this website
Hi Friends, I am trying to buy few plants from this...
vid_nand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™