Black Pearl

anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)February 20, 2006

My long-awaited Black Pearl opened her first bloom last week. At first I had thought something was wrong, as the bud was very very droopy and seemed so heavy - too heavy to open, but when it finally did open, the flower faces straight ahead and is truly stunning. The way it opened was so in keeping with its dramatic dark colour. The camera cannot seem to capture the exact hue: it is a deep maroonish colour, and it is also satiny in texture - unlike any other amaryllis I've seen. The picture with the bud shows a bit of the satiny sheen, and the bright red bloom is too red than in reality but the flash shows how satiny this flower is - just awesome - divine!

Anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lora_in(z5 central IN)

Hi Anna,
Very lovely! Lora

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 5:39PM
brigarif Khan

Yes it is lovely.
ARIF

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 10:51AM
spiderwoman(z6so.cent.PA)

Anna, it is just stunning! I, too, indulged myself with this cultivar this year and am very happy with it. Thank you for sharing your photos.
spiderwoman

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 9:56AM
soultan

Just an advice for photographing your blooms.
When you photograph AGAINST the light source, the machine will have a hard time compensating for the extreme light coming from all around your object, thus capturing it dark. So when the lit up window is in the background, your initial object will lose color and the detail that you would like to show. Using a flash helps this problem to a certain extent, but we all know that flash, on the other hand, alters the original color and hue. The best way to photograph is to have the light source right behind you, so the light falls upon your object instead of beaming right behind and around it. It can be very artistic when you want to play around light and shapes, but colors will always be altered.
In that note: I think, my Mary Lou is Double Record after all. No luck again?

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 5:02PM
Noni Morrison

I have another stalk of Black Pearl blooming for me today and I think it is one of the greatest flowers I have seen. That Black Red is just so heavy and rich, the shape of the flowers is so beautiful! Royal Velvet is blooming again but these blossoms are smaller then the first pot and not nearly as impressive. SO Black Pearl wins, hands down! I want to breed some of its great texture and shape into some of my others. I tried crossing it with Furor today, and with Royal Velvet, and a self. What a valentines flower this would make tied with gold ribbon! Maybe next year I will try to time more for Valentines Daym with Valentines colors

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 5:35PM
gotsomerice(Sunset 23)

Is Black Pearl the same as Red Pearl?

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 6:58PM
soultan

No, I don't think Black Pearl and Red Pearl are the same. They are distinctly sold as Black and Red, and their tags on the bulbs and on the rack show difference. Though we should know that those pictures are most of the time inaccurate when it comes to color.

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 7:31AM
rene09

I have the Red pearl & it looks very similar. would post pic but am on dial-up & it just takes too long! Hope to get broad band soon.

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 6:39PM
yanoosheck

Hi all, just today my Black Pearl shown her beauty ;-)
Janusz

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 3:02PM
yanoosheck

Hippeastrum Black Pearl 2008

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 3:11PM
yanoosheck

Hippeastrum Black Pearl 2008

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 3:24PM
jstropic

Yanoosheck,

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!

What more is there to say except - I can't wait until fall when they should come available again.

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 7:57PM
rosalie946

That is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to get one myself. I just started growing amaryllis, and must admit they are very addicting.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 1:01AM
jodik_gw

It reminds me of my Red Pearl... with that wonderful sheen... only darker, of course! It's beautiful, Janusz! Thank you for sharing!

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 11:03AM
yanoosheck

Hi all,
I have just found out that this Black Pearl shown on my picrures is actually Hippeastrum Roma and was created by Marko Penning in 1993.
Regards
Janusz

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 9:36AM
yanoosheck

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 5:25PM
yanoosheck

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 5:31PM
jodik_gw

Another dark beauty... my Red Pearl is almost as deep in color, but not quite. Very close, the two are.

It's beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 9:49PM
yanoosheck

BLACK & BLUE

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 10:07AM
bloomingcelery

Gorgeous photos. Thanks to everyone for posting them.

Please keep us updated on whether your Black Pearl remains face forward. Mine opened face forward but, by the time the second and third flower opened, they were all tipping downward. This was the bulb's first year with me and it gave me three scapes and 12 beautiful maroon flowers.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 11:58AM
Noni Morrison

A good memory jogger to see what i said several years ago, LOL.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
The brighter side of a cold and snowy day...
3 Flower Papilio Bulb #2 opens it's flowers
mariava7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™