How to grow tomatoes

FarmingtonMarch 19, 2014

I,m trying to-grow tomatoes. I will plant them on the ground with compost plus green all soil booster plus Kellogg tomato fertilizer NPK 463 plus rock dust plus gypsum.Put all of of this mix on the root ball. Is this too much nitrogen. I want to grow fruit not leaves. Is this over fertilized.. Help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Is this over fertilized.. Help
&&&&&&&&&

The 4-6-3 fertilizer is not that rich in "N". I dont know what "booster plus" is. Compost, depends. Most composts have very little "N" as well.

Tomatoes need a balance NPK,( 3-1-2 ratio) as found in MG All purpose water soluble (the blue staff that is used with sprayer, but you can dissolve it in watering can as well). OR MG Shake n feed granular time release, which is formulated for tomatoes and peppers.

You have to fertilize moderately, early on. Then cut back when flowering/fruiting begins.
On the other hand, most Indeterminat tomato varieties tend to grow a lot of foliage, no matter what. I find pruning a solution.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 7:57AM
djkj(9b)

Tomatoes need high nitrogen when they are starting out but more phosphorus during blooms. See the video link for some great information and tips

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Tomatoes Not Foliage

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 1:44AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Farmington, you will probably get more & better answers for Tomato questions on one of the GW Tomato Forums. The link below is the best place to post the question in this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing tomatoes

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group
Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group. As...
chadmd
lemon grass rooting from less base than I thought possible
I'd scrutinized the lemon grass at the local stores...
merrybookwyrm
Chinese Toon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toona_sinensis
JCTsai
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
JCTsai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™