procedure for moringa taproot to grow in smaller pots?

Craigo198April 29, 2014

Hey everyone I had another question about the moringa trees. I thought I read somewhere that you can do something to the taproot of the tree and it will grow in a smaller pot bigger than normal. Is there such a thing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xman(7/8)

Craigo198,

The moringa has a huge taproot and very little fibrous roots.

google for "AmberâÂÂs Edibles informational caresheet for Moringa (Moringa oleifera)"

Here is says that you can pinch the taproot to cause it to branch and stay small. I have never tried it. I have noticed that Moringa is somehow able to figure out the size of the container and will grow proportionally. The bigger the container (deeper is better), the bigger the tree. My 2 year trees growing 32 gallon thrash cans have the taproot the size of 2 basketballs..

xman

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 1:13PM
Craigo198

2 basketballs?!! that seems pretty big for 2 years

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:42PM
xman(7/8)

yep..2 basketballs placed one below the other..it took 2 people to carry the tree and place it into the new container.

But if the tree did not have an ideal environment to grow, like the one I had in a 18 gallon container with Miracle gro soil, that had root just the size of a football after 2 years.

xman

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 1:07PM
Craigo198

I have the largest planter home depot had. Im not sure the size. probably 18gal like you had.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 2:50PM
xman(7/8)

They like deeper pots than wider. I have mine planted in those 32 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans. Very stable, but very heavy moving it in and out of the garage during winter.
Need to get a large dolly this year, almost threw by back a couple of times dragging these. This is the second year the trees are in this container, last year they got to over 18 - 20 feet tall.

xman

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 11:49AM
Craigo198

looks good (although were leaves just harvested in this pic?) Also most people cut down their trees to harvest and just leave a 2 ft trunk in the ground to grow back again. maybe this will force it to grow bushier.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 9:58AM
xman(7/8)

These trees just came out of the garage a couple of weeks ago. We go down to 12 - 15 F where I live, so these trees go into the garage for the winter months. They have just started leafing out, that is why they are sparse. These 4 trees are only for pods, so I do not cut leaves from these. I have other Moringa trees that I keep for the leaves, these are bushier and are kept to 6 feet tall.

These are the pictures of these trees from last year

xman

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 1:11PM
Craigo198

very nice and I understand now. lots of nutrition in those pics...hope to be looking like yours in a year or so.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:47AM
Craigo198

here is my healthy moringa (transplanted about a month or 2 ago.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:52AM
xman(7/8)

nice... looks really healthy and happy.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 12:28PM
Craigo198

Well its winter time here in south florida and pretty warm for the most part. My plants are not looking to healthy. lots of yellow leaves and not too many green ones. Even the darker green leaves are wrinkly with white crack looking lines in the leaf. Ive been grinding up egg shells and putting them on top of the soil because I read yellow could mean not enough magnesium. Maybe I just need to water more often as I go sometimes 5 days or more not watering.

Bookmark   January 1, 2015 at 10:26AM
Craigo198

i see some webs on there so maybe I have the dreaded spidermites as well.

Bookmark   January 16, 2015 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
Okinawan sweet potato in San Diego
I am growing the Okinawan sweet potato for the first...
ZoeMom
anybody know what this is?
i bought some vegetable seeds from ebay and the plant...
ngamonk
Kaffir Lime Propagation
I am a huge lover of Thai food. I grow thaiPeppers...
skyclad
7 year old Tatsoi mustard seed sprouted
I bought this seed seven years ago on a clearance sale...
californian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™