What Asian vegetables can grow in large pots?

farmerted361(zone 6 Western NY)April 16, 2006

Hi, All.

What could grow in pots, and does anyone have seeds to share, I have some heirloom tomato seeds to trade for them.

Thanks, Ron:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Just about anything can grow in a container. If you're looking to trade seeds, please go to the Exchange area of this forum or just post "Asian Vegetables Wanted" at the Seed Exchange Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Exchange Forum

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 4:59PM
fliptx(Houston 9)

Ron, I've been growing pak choy very well in white plastic bins, about 16X12X8", that I punch drainage holes in. I harvest the greens at the baby stage, at about 3-4".

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 5:24PM
chaman(z7MD)

Try Gobo ( Burdock ) and sweet potatoes.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 8:59PM
digit(ID/WA)

Ron, the Asian greens seem to all be quite shallow rooted plants. Fliptx suggests pak choy and I think that is a good idea. We grow the dwarf Mei Qing variety and that may be the best choice to allow to reach maturity. If slugs can be avoided, you could really "pack" the pak choy into a pot.

Watering is a real issue here and I've only got so much time so have few containers. They really require daily attention.

Sweet potatoes would make an attractive container plant where appearance is an issue.

Steve

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 11:45AM
barbara_in_la(So. Cal.)

If it's not too late to chime in, there were a few melon plants I grew in large pots (cleaned out kitty litter containers) with what I call good success. That would include foo gwa (or bitter melon), mao gwa (fuzzy gourd), delica squash -- is that considered an Asian vege? -- tong gwa as well as tomatoes and hot peppers. I like a good challenge and a lot of diligence on my part with the watering and feeding especially on hot days. I'll never know what I can and can't grow unless I just jump in and do it. And I love watching things grow. Your mileage may vary!

Anyway, hope this helps a bit! Barb

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Tandaljo
Pic. of Tandaljo This year I have added one more vegetable...
chaman
forestelves
Wasabi 'like' veggie
I was watching TV while having my car fixed and there...
kkfromnj
south Indian red spinach seeds for exchange
I have this plant of which I don't know the name. It...
susany
Kikuza squash
HI gardeners: Many months ago I posted looking for...
garlicgrower
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™