Evergreen Asian Seeds

booberry85(5)April 25, 2010

I just looked at the Evergreen Asian Seed site. Their website is temporarily down (until May 5?). Does anyone know why? They are not taking any orders during this time. It's the heart of planting season. It seems like a very odd time to shut down.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

Odd. I've known them to shut down in the off season, but at this time of year????

Jim

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 10:21PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Strange indeed, especially the bracket dates. Could be it a one-man operation, and that one has gone on vacation?

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 1:18AM
bluebirdie(Z8 SF E Bay)

They did this during the past and always came back as promised. Last year I checked, they seem to be doing some re-inventory. Luckily I got my latest order from them in January (I like to store their seeds in the frig for a few weeks before planting). They picked this time frame probably due to the fact that the peak seed planting season is a few months earlier for most of the west coast. They're based in S. Cal.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:53PM
digit(ID/WA)

Their website was closed in February, also. I remember checking back several weeks ago and it was still down. This was the first of many years that I did not plant Evergreen seed.

Their seed used to be available at a nearby Asian market. That store hasn't had a rack of seed for several years but that was where I first discovered Evergreen about 8 or so years ago.

I was wondering if this subject was going to come up on GW. Waiting until May to plan the garden and order seeds? Thank you, but NO!

I think that Evergreen may have gone down on a permanent basis.

digitSteve

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 12:07PM
mauirose(11)

Gosh i hope you're wrong. Guess we'll know in three more days...

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 1:41PM
ujgarden

Probably you could check www.seedsofindia.com. I ordered some sees from them and received it promptly. I am located in BC, Canada.

JS

Here is a link that might be useful: uj's vegetable garden

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 5:03PM
bluebirdie(Z8 SF E Bay)

Oh no! Just got into Asian vegetables two years ago. Evergreenseeds is my Asian seed source of choice. I hope they do come back.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 2:44PM
digit(ID/WA)

Sorry, I've been anxiously waiting for the 5th but I guess that is no longer necessary. The Evergreen home page has changed:

"Note:
This site is temporarily closed.
No order accepted and no shipping available."

There is no longer a mention of any date.

Times change, I've enjoyed a few things over the last few years from New Dimension. I'd like to see that company begin selling in larger sized packets and maybe a wider selection. I wish that AgroHaitai shipped to the US but, I guess, that time has passed, as well.

digitS'

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 11:18PM
ladybug_la(9)

The site is open and functioning.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:24PM
ikea_gw

Now they are closed again!! What is going on??

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 1:56PM
booberry85(5)

Missed my window of opportunity. They're closed again until the 22nd.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 9:09PM
defrost49

I ordered from AgroHatai for the first time this year. They ship to the US, at least they did to NH and cost was very reasonable.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 7:18AM
digit(ID/WA)

I hate to be a source of misinformation but if Evergreen keeps jerking us around, I don't know how it could be otherwise! What sort of "business model" are they following? They will have to show some stability before I will order from them again.

I did check with AgroHaiTai and there are, apparently, only some of their seeds that are listed as "Canada Only" so it looks like you can find some (perhaps, many) that they ship to the US.

Stopping now before I put my foot in my mouth, again . . .

Steve

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 5:10PM
ikea_gw

Another place to try might be Kitazawa Seed Co. I have never ordered from them before but the selection seems pretty good. I also have found asian vegetable seeds from Johnny's Select, and it is a very reputable seed company.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 1:11PM
jimster(z7a MA)

I've always like Evergreen because they have a large selection and their prices are reasonable. I hope they remain in business.

Jim

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 7:30PM
tivo532(9B)

Still close.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 2:30AM
john_p_wi(4 / 5 SE WI)

They have been open this year, in fact I ordered from them earlier this spring. Their site says closed from July 29 to Aug 6. BTW, their search funtion still works....

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 4:39PM
ikea_gw

I placed one order in early summer from Evergreen. I think they just have a odd schedule, so you just need to check back periodically. I wonder if it is a mom and pop shop so whenever they are on vacation the store is closed. I suppose this is better than placing an order and not hearing back for a few weeks. A lot of people would be put off by that.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Kikuza squash
HI gardeners: Many months ago I posted looking for...
garlicgrower
looking for bitter melon and lemongrass seed
I am diabetic and heard that bitter melon and lemon...
frdannylturner
Don't buy bitter melon seeds
At my first attempt to germinate bitter melon from...
janoyan
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group
Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group. As...
chadmd
Chinese Toon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toona_sinensis
JCTsai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™