Will Bitter Melon make other plants Bitter?

kan555(7)April 8, 2013

Hi.. I just start planting bitter melon the first time. I put in it the same raised bed with other plants such as basil, cantaloupe, beans and tomato. I just talked to my asian friend and she told to plant bitter melon separately if I don't want other fruits and vegetables to get bitter taste. Is this true? Please help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesandfely(6)

Every year for 18 years I plant bitter melon onthe same bed with tomatoes, wing beans,and other vegetables . All the vegetables that are planted together with bitter melon did not become bitter in taste.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:50PM
kan555(7)

Awesome. Thanks for the answer.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 8:54PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

They won't make anything else around it bitter like jamesandfely said. Bitter melon/gourd is so good for eating and healthy, I don't know why more people don't plant or consume it. If you have diabetes or know some that does recommend this vegetable(technically a fruit) it is a good alternative to controlling your glucose level plus has lots of vitamins, fiber and minerals.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:52PM
stevelau1911

I just started my bitter melon seeds and I'm hoping they germinate easily. I plan on having them in the same trellis with my luffas so I hope the bitterness doesn't rub off.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:02PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

They should be fine, but occasionally you will get one that is bitter(luffa) tho and pretty much you can't do anything about it except not eating them assuming you are. Just eat them when they are young 6"-10". Any bigger and they become like your shower buddy ;)

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:19AM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

Stevelau1911-
Disregard my comment on the luffa size. I saw in the other topic you posted that you planted the angled luffa's and not the regular round sponge bath type. My parents grows them on our 5 acre rented land for our farmer's market and they get very long and big depending how you care for them but they are still very tender and young.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 2:05PM
kan555(7)

Thanks for all great info here. Now I'm interested in angled luffa. I would really really appreciated anyone who can share some seeds. I haven't had fresh one for more than a decade and would like my kids to experience it. I can paypal you for any trouble. Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 2:23PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

Kan555-
I might have some let me ask my mom if she has some left over then i'll let you know.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:08PM
stevelau1911

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/anluexlo.html

Angled luffa can be found pretty easily online. I believe this is probably the strain that I have, and they don't seem to ever get bitter unless they get over 30 inches in length for me.

Each plant also produces about 200 fruits per year so you don't have to plant that many. You just have to plant early up north due to a cooler season.

Here's a picture of one of mine from a couple days ago.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 6:54PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Bitterness, sweetness,...other taste characteristics is produced within the fruit as it developes and ripens. So it cannot go back into the soil.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:25AM
ncvgarden

In my garden, luffa is the only veg turn bitter when growing close to bitter melon.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 10:42PM
stevelau1911

It can turn bitter on its own, but it also depends on the cultivator you get. The cultivator I have hardly ever gets bitter ones until they get really old and start making seeds.

Anyways my luffa vines have survived many frosts since they've been outdoors for 1 month, and they are somehow close to making it up to the trellis by now. I can expect some fruits to form by July if we get warm enough weather.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
forestelves
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
JCTsai
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
Chinese Toon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toona_sinensis
JCTsai
Okinawan sweet potato in San Diego
I am growing the Okinawan sweet potato for the first...
ZoeMom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™