Which Chinese Cabbage Am I Growing?

muddledpuddleApril 16, 2008

The label said that I was growing michihni Chinese cabbage, but the cabbage isn't heading. Does anyone know what I am growing? Also, does it look ready to harvest? I think it's ready to eat, but knowing what I'm growing would help.

Many thanks!

For more detailed pictures, click here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2418988087_88b9ddd548_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2204/2418987545_fccbe8dae7_b.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

It doesn't look like a cabbage to me because the ribs are not broad and thick. It looks more like a mustard, but I can't identify the variety.

The plant at the upper left looks like it is developing blossom buds, which would mean they need to be harvested soon before they bolt.

Jim

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 8:08PM
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA(7a Northern VA)

Yours looks like bolting michili chinese cabbage. Best to pick the young flower stalks and eat them, cuz you will not get heads from these plants now. This happened to me last year. Michili cabbage, in fact most chinese cabbages do not seem to like being moved/transplanted. Also, they get picky about when they are planted, bolting as soon as the weather gets too hot. I've done much better with bok choi, but intend to try again with michili this spring.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 10:26PM
muddledpuddle

Thanks both of you! Nightbloomincereus, I assume I can eat the leaves, even though it's bolted? (I've never grown Michili cabbage before.)

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 9:09AM
thumbkin2008

Yours look like what they call Texan mustard at the Asian markets, and if so, they are slightly bitter to the taste when stir-fried.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
wanted Murraya koenigii (curry plant) sappling
Hi friends, We recently move to Los Angeles area(Torrance,...
vid_nand
Tandaljo
Pic. of Tandaljo This year I have added one more vegetable...
chaman
forestelves
Wasabi 'like' veggie
I was watching TV while having my car fixed and there...
kkfromnj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™